01/04/2002 Imraan Sheik ( South Africa )

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2002.
Post Reply
Posts: 1195
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 01/04/2002 Imraan Sheik ( South Africa )

Post by alb »

Shark victim prays for a miracle
imraan-sheik.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 13644 times
imraan-sheik2.jpg (12.76 KiB) Viewed 13644 times
Hobbling along on an ill-fitting prosthetic leg, held together with bandages, nuts and bolts, sticky tape and glue, shark attack victim Imraan Sheik has been praying for a lifeline for the past decade to help ease his pain and suffering.

Ten years ago, on January 4, 2002, Sheik, then 16, was fishing with friends in knee-deep water on the sandbanks of the Royal Natal Yacht Club at the Durban Harbour, when he was attacked by what was believed to be a Zambezi shark. His right leg had to be amputated.

His story made headlines as it was the first reported shark attack in the harbour since the Sharks Board began keeping records of attacks in the 1940s.

This week the Daily News tracked Sheik to his home in Chatsworth to see how he was doing.

He said despite the many challenges he has faced over the years because of his disability, including being unemployed and living hand to mouth, Sheik’s love for the sea and his fascination with sharks have not faded.

“At first I was very angry and depressed about what happened to me. But as time went by I accepted that it was my fate. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sharks are created by God. They are beautiful creatures and curious by nature,” Sheik said.

Imraan Sheiks right leg was amputated in January 2002 after he was attacked by a shark in Durban Harbour. Picture: Puri Devjee

“In fact, I am fascinated by them. I love reading about them and also follow attacks on other victims closely.

“The internet on my cellphone is my best friend. I Google articles about shark attack victims throughout the world. Many people expect me to be afraid of the sea and to have a fear of sharks, but I don’t. With the support of my family and my faith in God, I am confident my dark days will come to an end.”

Sheik has earned the nickname Sharky.

“Everyone calls me Sharky. It doesn’t upset me. I have become famous with that name. Up until today, many people react with shock when I tell them how I lost my leg.

“I love talking about it. It’s easy to talk about now. I also hope that by talking about it, more people become aware when going to the beach. This has taught me not to take anything for granted.”

Speaking from his grandmother Kalawathi Elahi’s modest flat in Bangladesh, Chatsworth, Sheik said five years ago his life took a turn for the better when his childhood sweetheart Taahirah agreed to marry him. “She is my pillar and helps me get through each day. She has given up her dreams and aspirations to take care of me. For this, I am grateful. She also does not pity me and encourages me to try to lead a normal life.”

Sheik turns to the sea to earn a living. He takes a train from Chatsworth daily, to fish at Durban’s south pier.

“Fortunately, I love fishing, so I don’t see it as a chore or hard work. The only difficult part is getting to the beach with my prosthetic limb, which is falling to pieces. I am fortunate most days to catch enough fish to buy food and pay the lights and water.

“This helps supplement my disability grant of just over R1 000 a month. Some months are very difficult financially, but we get through somehow.”

With regard to his amputated leg, Sheik said he often suffers phantom pains and terrible blisters caused by the prosthetic limb.

“A year after the attack, the limb was donated to me. It is badly damaged and I cannot afford to buy a new one. To keep it together I use bandages, nuts and bolts, sticky tape and glue. It weighs almost 10kg and is difficult to walk with. In fact when I put it on, I have to hold it in position or it slips off. This also takes a toll on my hands and back. But I have no choice.

“It’s either that or I have to walk with crutches. That restricts the use of my hands and I cannot move around freely.”

He said that a few years ago he went back to Addington Hospital, where his leg was amputated, to try to secure his file so he could get a new limb from Wentworth Hospital.

“Unfortunately, the file could not be found. I did not pursue it further. To get a new limb I need about R20 000. That is beyond my reach. But I pray to God daily for a miracle. Getting a new limb will help ease my pain and suffering. Maybe then I could also get a job.”

Sheik said his childhood dream was to join the army.

“I always wanted to join the army. I have not given up hope on that. I’m still young. Maybe, if I get my leg sorted out, I will be able to follow my dream.”

Since the fateful day, Sheik has never returned to the spot where he was attacked. “I have felt no need to go there. I have no fear. It’s just something I never thought about doing.”

His granny, who took care of him until he got married, said it still pained her to see her favourite grandson.

“I thank God that he is alive. But he deserves more. He needs to get a job and be able to live a better life.

“I have not lost hope. In my heart I know that one day he will become somebody.”

To pass his time when he is not fishing, Sheik said he spends time at the local swimming pool or chatting with his friends.

http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/sha ... -1.1221713
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
https://www.sharkattacksurvivors.com/ge ... contact-us
How would you deal with being severely injured by an animal that may have wanted to consume you or just parts of you? A shark attack can be a mindboggling event in a person's life. We know we have been there!
When reading about shark attacks from news sources, use common sense.
Shark Attack Survivors

Site Admin
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:04 pm

01/04/2002 Imraan Sheik ( South Africa )

Post by sharkbait »

Sixteen-year-old Adrian Sheik kicked and punched as a shark gnawed at his right leg in the early hours of Friday morning.

Teenager attacked in the dark by shark

January 04 2002 South Africa

Sixteen-year-old Adrian Sheik kicked and punched as a shark gnawed at his right leg in the early hours of Friday morning.

Sheik and a group of friends were fishing at 2am in the shallow water on the sand banks of the Royal Natal Yacht Club in Durban Harbour when he was attacked by what was believed to be a Zambezi shark.

Partially freeing himself, he then stabbed the shark with his fishing rod, before finally escaping and swimming towards the harbour's edge.

He was then rushed to Durban's Addington Hospital, where he is recuperating after his leg was amputated on Friday afternoon.

The horror attack is the second shark attack in KwaZulu-Natal waters in less than a week and the Natal Sharks Board has warned beachgoers to stay out of the water at night.

Recounting the incident, Sheik's best friend, Kevin Moonsamy - who was with him - said the actual attack was quick, but helping his friend swim back to land took about half an hour.

When they approached the shore, another fisherman, Jack Potgieter, came to the boys' assistance. "I heard screaming and turned to see what was happening," Potgieter said. He quickly put a towel around Sheik's leg and helped drag him to the shore. The paramedics were called soon afterward.

"We believe it to be quite a large shark," said Sharks Board biologist Sheldon Dudley.

This is the first reported shark attack inside the harbour since the Sharks Board started keeping records of attacks in the 1940s.

"This is the first attack inside Durban harbour, but we do know of such attacks in other parts of the world," added Dudley.

There are no shark nets inside the harbour. There have been rare sightings of sharks in the harbour, but none that close to the moored yachts and the fishermen.

Dudley said only after further investigation would they be certain what type of shark the attacker was, but early implications are that it was a Zambezi shark.

"The Zambezi shark is the only one that can live in both salt and fresh water and the harbour has both," said Dudley. This shark is also known to swim upriver and can get close to shore. Sheik was attacked in knee-deep water.

Speaking to The Independent on Saturday, Sheik's mother, Anita Sheik, said she was told of the incident about 4am on Friday.

"I thank God my son is alive. He loves fishing and fishes almost every day," she said.

But she said that on Thursday night he was hesitant about going fishing as he was feeling ill, and was persuaded to do so by his friend.

"Maybe it was a sign, a sort of premonition," she added. She said her son is turning 17 next Sunday. He was due to begin a new job on Monday.

"Both me and my husband are unemployed. My son told me before he left that he was going to support us financially when he started work," she added.

Earlier this week Zululand doctor Michael van Niekerk was bitten while surfskiing off Mtunzini on New Year's day.

Van Niekerk, 26, was about 1,5km out to sea and was watching the sun setting as he waited for his friend to catch up to him. As he sat on his surfski he dangled his legs over the side.

"I felt something bump my leg and heard a big splash. Then I felt something tugging on my foot," explained Van Niekerk. He managed to maintain his balance with his paddle and tugged his leg out of the water. When he pulled it out he saw the large gash and realised what had happened.Van Niekerk is luckier than Sheik - while his foot was badly mangled, all major nerves and tendons were intact, enabling doctors to save his leg.

In his case too, it is only once the bandages are removed that experts will be able to say what kind of shark attacked him.

"This is the second attack this week, but the public must remember that both attacks occurred between dusk and dawn - during the sharks' feeding time. Fishermen, paddlers and swimmers should not to go into the sea at night," cautioned Dudley

Site Admin
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Post by sharkbait »

KZN shark victim loses leg

DURBAN ­ A 16-year-old boy lost his right leg after being bitten by a shark in Durban harbour on Saturday.

Addington Hospital matron Bernadine MacQuena said Imraan Sheik was standing in shallow water at the Point Yacht Mall when he was attacked. He was rushed to hospital but doctors had no choice but to amputate his leg.

SABC News reported Imraan saying from his hospital bed: "The shark grabbed me, pulled me under water and I used my rod to ward it away."

It is suspected the animal was a Zambezi shark which commonly attacks in shallow water.

MacQuena said Imraan was in a stable condition. ­ Sapa

http://www.dispatch.co.za/2002/01/07/so ... /shark.htm

Post Reply