Surfer injured in shark attack
A SHARK has attacked a surfer at a remote location off Kangaroo Island, south of Adelaide.
Rescuers have not yet reached the man, aged in his 20s, who is believed to have suffered leg injuries in the attack about 1.15pm (CST) at Cape De Couedic, on the island's south-western tip.
An ambulance spokesman said the man had been surfing with friends who dragged him out of the water after the attack.
They pulled their injured mate onto rocks at the base of a cliff, before making an emergency call.
"The man's friends made an emergency call from the scene and said he was conscious when they left him," the spokesman said.
He said ambulance crews were still trying to reach the scene.
The attack follows one on Friday, when surfer Brad Satchell fought off a shark by punching it in the head at Perth's Scarborough beach. Mr Satchell was not injured.
Today's incident is the latest in a series of recent shark attacks off South Australia.
On September 4, surfer Jake Heron survived being mauled by a shark off the Eyre Peninsula.
The 40-year-old had been surfing about 30km south of Port Lincoln when he was attacked, but managed to fight off the four-metre great white by repeatedly punching it in the head.
On August 24, marine biologist Jarrod Stehbens was taken by a shark while diving for cuttlefish eggs off Adelaide's Glenelg Beach.
And in December last year, surfboarder Nick Peterson, 18, was killed after being attacked by a great white shark off Adelaide's West Beach.
The attacks prompted South Australia to boost air patrols along Adelaide beaches this summer.
Earlier this month, Emergency Services Minister Carmel Zollo said a rescue helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft would conduct the patrols.
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/c ... 02,00.html