"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

09/19/2023 Male 56yr Myrtle Beach South Carolina

2023 Shark Attacks the Latest Shark Attacks and Shark Attack Related Incidents which include Fatal Attacks to minor injuries bites and attacks where the person fought an aggressive shark.
alb

09/19/2023 Male 56yr Myrtle Beach South Carolina

Post by alb »

BLOODY WATERS Swimmer, 56, mauled by shark at popular family beach at tail-end of ‘feeding frenzy’ summer that experts warned of

A POPULAR beach destination has been rocked by a vicious shark attack after experts warned of a feeding frenzy.

A 56-year-old man was bitten while swimming near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, about 100 miles northeast of Charleston.

He was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening, Myrtle Beach Police Corporal Christopher Starling told The Sun News.

It's not known what type of shark bit the swimmer shortly before 5pm on Monday.

Nobody else was injured by the animal.

The attack came at the tail end of a coastal shark feeding frenzy caused by Hurricane Lee, which passed near Cape Verde and Bermuda before hitting Nova Scotia earlier this month.

The storm pushed sharks closer to the coast in states including Florida and South Carolina, Gavin Naylor, director of the University of Florida's shark research program, told local Fox affiliate WOFL.

Last week, he warned that beachgoers should remain vigilant about shark attacks.

Mark Sumersett, 38, suffered severe injuries to his face on September 11 after he was attacked by a shark during an early morning surf session in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, about 50 miles northwest of Orlando.

The area has been dubbed the shark attack capital of the US.

He was the seventh person to be attacked by one of the animals in Volusia County this year.

The shark sank its teeth into both sides of Sumersett's head.

"It was the scariest thing I've probably ever been through in my life," he told WESH.

"I've been in bad car accidents. Nothing like this."

Sumersett said it felt like a "bear trap" was clamping down on his face.

"It was pressure, and I'll tell you that pressure, it was like a crunch," the surfer said.

He had traveled from South Carolina to take advantage of the waves created by Hurricane Lee.

"I had a feeling I was going to get bit yesterday," Sumersett said.

https://www.the-sun.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2023 Shark Attacks and Shark Attack Related Incidents”