"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

05/16/2023 Claire Gugerty Isle of Palms South Carolina

2023 Shark Attacks the Latest Shark Attacks and Shark Attack Related Incidents which include Fatal Attacks to minor injuries bites and attacks where the person fought an aggressive shark.
alb

Re: 05/16/2023 Claire Gugerty Isle of Palms South Carolina

Post by alb »

Close Encounter: Isle of Palms Swimmer Bitten by Shark

by Laura Anderson

May 31, 2023

1:51 PM

Claire Gugerty, 24, was enjoying Mother's Day with her family on Isle of Palms front beach when she had a startling encounter. While swimming with her sister, Paige, in waist-deep water, she felt a bump on her right leg. It was only when she got out of the water that she realized she had been bitten by a shark, as blood began to pool from a gash on the side of her right kneecap.

I knew immediately that something had gotten me, but I didn't realize I had been bitten," recalled Claire Gugerty.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 9.24.31 AM.png

Claire Gugerty

Her sister, Paige, who was just a few feet away, did not feel or see anything. A passing Isle of Palms Police Department officer on a beach cruiser was flagged down by Gugerty's family. Unfortunately, the officer did not have a first aid kit or supplies to stop the bleeding. Nevertheless, the officer promptly called the Isle of Palms Fire Department, who arrived swiftly and provided crucial assistance. This incident highlights the importance of preparedness for all first responders on the island.

Claire and her family, originally from Baltimore, Maryland, were visiting her aunt, Mimi Wood, a long-time resident of Isle of Palms. Although familiar with beach activities and the presence of marine life after years spent at Ocean City and Stone Harbor, Gugerty had concerns about other dangers such as stingrays and jellyfish.

“I have always loved swimming in the ocean,” Gugerty said. “When I was younger, I wasn’t scared of anything but as I’ve gotten older, I just think about it more. Even this weekend, I was asking my aunt about the dangers and my cousin was instructing me to shuffle my feet in the water to avoid getting stung by a stingray.”
IMG_8007.png

Gugerty had never considered a shark bite as a real possibility. However, around 5 pm, she was bitten on the right side of her right knee by what she described as a large fish that made her stumble. She did not see the shark but witnessed something thrashing in the water. Thinking she had been scraped, she quickly ran out onto the shore.

Paramedics rushed Gugerty to East Cooper Medical Center, where Dr. Suzanne Echemendia-Wirth and the hospital staff provided excellent care. The gash, approximately 6 inches wide, was speculated that it was from a 4–5-foot juvenile tiger shark, according to the doctor. After the wound was rinsed with saline solution, Gugerty received 22 stitches. Thankfully, the bite was superficial, with no damage to her arteries.Waking up today, though Gugerty says her family is still shaken up and that her right leg is sore to walk on, she remains optimistic.

Statistics show you’re more likely to win the lottery than get bit by a shark,” Gugerty laughed, “but, still, I don’t know if I’ll be going back in the ocean any time soon.”

Gugerty emphasizes that it is essential for families to stay vigilant and aware of the possibility of shark encounters, even though the likelihood is low. Gugerty hopes her experience will encourage families to prioritize safety.

According to the International Shark Attack File (ISAF) Beach Injuries and Fatalities report, the odds of a shark attack in the United States are 1 in 11.5 million. The most common type of shark attack is the "hit and run" phenomenon, typically occurring in the surf zone with swimmers and surfers as targets. These attacks often result from mistaken identity and are infrequent instances where the shark does not return after a single bite or slash wound, and the victim seldom sees the attacker. From gugerty’s experience, it appears this was likely the case.

https://www.luckydognews.com
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

05/16/2023 Claire Gugerty Isle of Palms South Carolina

Post by alb »

SHARK ALERT Shark attacks swimmer in waist-deep waters off South Carolina coast – days after teen savaged by beast in Florida

MOTHER'S Day took a turn for the worse for one family after a woman was attacked by a shark while in waist-deep waters.

Claire Gugerty was visiting the Isle of Palms front beach on the South Carolina coast with her family when she and her sister Paige went swimming.
Claire Gugerty was bitten by a shark while swimming in waist-deep water

When Gugerty got out of the water, she noticed the blood pouring from her leg

While the pair were in the water, Gugerty felt a hard bump on her right leg but thought nothing of it until she got out of the water and saw blood seeping from the side of her kneecap.

The incident occurred around 5pm, and she said she saw a large fish and the impact made her stumble.

The 24-year-old did not see the shark, but she saw something thrashing in the water.

Rather than a bite, Gugerty believed that she had a scrape on her leg.
read more on shark attacks

She told The Island Eye: "I knew immediately that something had gotten me, but I didn't realize I had been bitten."

Meanwhile, her sister did not see or feel anything though she had been only a few feet away.

Gugerty's family managed to wave down a police officer who did not have a first aid kit but was able to call the Isle of Palms Fire Department.

She was rushed to the East Cooper Medical Center, where she was given 22 stitches for her six-inch wound.

https://www.the-sun.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2023 Shark Attacks and Shark Attack Related Incidents”