"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

05/20/2015 - Matthew Zaccaria - Florida

Shark Attacks as they happen in 2015 Shark Attacks 2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite bites 2015 worldwide shark attack 2015
alb

05/20/2015 - Matthew Zaccaria - Florida

Post by alb »

Teen bitten by shark at New Smyrna Beach
Surfer suffers shark bite on foot, officials say

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. -
Matthew Zaccaria has been surfing every day for last four years and never thought he'd ever get attacked by a shark.

"It was just the craziest thing ever," he said.

The attack happened near the jetty at New Smyrna Beach Inlet around 10:30am on Wednesday morning. The 18-year-old said he never saw it coming.

"I caught a wave and I kicked out and barely touched the bottom and then a shark jumped up and bit me," said Zaccaria.

Zaccaria said he actually stepped on the shark's head and then felt the bite.

"Just that sharp razor feel," he said.

That's when he quickly turned his board around and went straight for the beach.

"It could have been really bad. I got really lucky. I like whipped my leg out just in time or it would have crunched it."

Zaccaria believed it was about a five foot shark that left him with a gash. He then took a picture and posted it to Instagram warning others.

"Everyone was like you should post it because you need to let everyone know what's going on out there."

Luckily, his injuries are minor and he didn't need to go to the hospital. He said once his foot heals, he'll be back out surfing again.

"I'll probably surf New Smyrna Beach Inlet again but I want to give it kind of a break. That was kinda gnarly today," said Zaccaria.

Volusia County Beach Safety Ocean Rescue said this was the second shark bite this year.

http://www.clickorlando.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite”