"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/24/2009 Deidre Casas ( Texas )

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
sharkbait
Site Admin

07/24/2009 Deidre Casas ( Texas )

Post by sharkbait »

Deidre Casas A 14-year-old Edinburg Texas girl is recovering at home, after doctors say a shark bit her.
Deidre Casas is now recovering at home and taking care of her ankle.
deidre_casas.jpg (13.54 KiB) Viewed 14228 times
Shark Takes Bite Out of Teen

Last Update: 12:55 pm

Print Story | Share this Story
EDINBURG - A 14-year-old Edinburg girl is recovering at home, after doctors say a shark bit her.

That was the official diagnosis from doctors at the hospital, after they saw the bite marks and the huge open wound on the 14-year-old girl's ankle. She needed 15 stitches to close the wound.

Deidre was in the gulf waters Friday afternoon behind some popular hotels. She tells us she was near the first sandbar with water almost up to her chest, when she felt something tugging on her leg. She says she got spooked and then realized she was in trouble.

"I picked up my leg. There was blood everywhere. I picked up my leg and pedaled to shore," said Deidre.

Her mother, Joann, tell NEWSCHANNEL 5, "The doctor, once he saw her, he said this was a shark bite. She was bleeding, bleeding so much."

Deidre has a message to other swimmers, "Just be careful. Stay close to shore, that's for sure."

Her mother says doctors took X-rays. Doctors told them based on the type of wound and bite marks, the injury was a shark bite, likely from a small shark.

Deidre decided to get an ankle bracelet with a shark tooth to mark her ordeal.

http://www.krgv.com/content/news/story/ ... yzHvA.cspx

Return to “2009 Shark Attack Related Incidents”