"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/28/2008 Teresa Holloway (Florida)

Worldwide Reported Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2008.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 03/28/2008 Teresa Holloway (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Indiana woman bitten by shark

Posted: April 4, 2008 06:31 AM EDT

Updated: April 4, 2008 06:15 PM EDT

Local mom survives shark bite
Teresa Holloway Shark Attack Picture
Teresa Holloway Shark Attack Picture
teresa_holloway.png (207.92 KiB) Viewed 12607 times

Teresa Holloway recovers at home from after the shark attack.

David MacAnally/Eyewitness News

Pendleton - An Indiana mom and her kids are back home following a spring break vacation that sent her to the hospital with a shark bite. It happened in the Atlantic Ocean near Cocoa Beach.

"It was probably in the 80's. My children and I were out boggie boarding on the waves," said Teresa Holloway describing their Florida vacation. But then a Spring Break trip for the Pendleton family turned from fun to fear.

"I was riding the waves in and all of a sudden I felt something very sharp on my foot," said Holloway.

She feared for her three children. Her 16-year-old son was farther out. "I was thinking so many thoughts that second. Something had hold of me and I just needed to get away. It had to be something with a really large mouth since my whole foot was in it's mouth."

Her legs were her weapons against a threat she couldn't see but had to shake.

"It had to be a shark," she said. "I just kept kicking as hard as I could. I don't think he was on me very long but I wasn't going to give him a second chance."

She kicked the shark loose just as her son swam in to help her.

"He was on his way up and he kicked it out of the way. He didn't want to see what it was because my mom was yelling and stuff," Holloway's daughter later told a Florida television station.

"There were some men on the beach that had helped him drag me out of the water. They immediately found someone's shirt and wrapped it around my foot cause it was bleeding pretty badly," said Teresa. "Basically the top of my foot was filleted open so they had to tack that down. The bottom just looked like somebody took a knife and was cutting up and down my foot."

Despite the bite, she says she will go back into the water. "The doctor told me at the hospital I had a better chance of getting struck by lightening. That's not funny because our house was hit by lightening and burned."

It was not Great White but a small or baby shark. Teresa says she's thankful it was her and not her kids.

The Florida television station says a check turned up two other bite victims there in the last year.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=8117437&nav=9Tai
sharkbait
Site Admin

03/28/2008 Teresa Holloway (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Pendleton woman bit by shark

Posted: April 3, 2008 03:20 PM EDT

ANDERSON, Ind. (The Herald Bulletin) - A Pendleton woman was bitten by a small shark March 28 while on vacation in Florida.

Teresa Holloway of Pendleton was treated for lacerations to her foot at Cape Canaveral Hospital last Friday after she was bitten by the small shark, according to WFTV Channel 9.

"She was like, ‘I can't walk,' so we lifted her up and we tried to get her to shore," Holloway's daughter, Tami Jo, told the television station

Holloway was on vacation in Brevard County on the east coast of central Florida, east of Orlando. The attack occurred at Cocoa Beach, where Channel 9 reported, two other such incidents have taken place this year.

Holloway's son believes he saw the shark.

"He was on his way up and he kicked it out of the way," Tami Jo said. "But he didn't want to stop to see what it was because my mom was yelling and stuff."

Tami Jo said her mother's entire foot was caught in the shark's mouth and she had a large wound.

"It was just a baby one, but I would hate to see what a big one would do," Tami Jo said.

Holloway planned to return to Indiana Saturday.

From WISH-TV news gathering partner The Herald Bulletin

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp? ... 1&nav=0Ra7

Return to “2008 Shark Attacks ~ Shark Attacks 2008”