"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

06/23/2021 - Alex Dodds 25 yr - Australia

Recent Shark Attack in 2021 Information on Shark Attacks in 2021 Latest Shark Attacks all here at Shark Attack Survivors
alb

06/23/2021 - Alex Dodds 25 yr - Australia

Post by alb »

Shark that attacked spearfisherman in Western Australia believed to be huge white pointer

The shark responsible for attacking a spearfisherman in Western Australia is believed to be a 4m white pointer.

The friend of a spearfisherman who was attacked by a suspected 4m white shark in Western Australia believes he may have startled the animal.

Authorities received a call just after 2.30pm on Wednesday alerting them that Alex Dodds, 25, had been attacked near the Beagle Islands, close to Leeman, about 260km north of Perth.

A St John Ambulance spokeswoman said Mr Dodds suffered a 20cm laceration below the knee, adding he was in a stable condition after the attack.

“The male person was spearfishing with a partner, and not surfing as previously reported,” the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development said on Thursday.

“He is believed to have been bitten by a 4m white shark.”

His friend Brodie Paino told The West Australian he was only 1m away from his mate.

“When I dived down, I saw it right underneath me so I rushed back up towards the surface. I was directly on top of it,” Mr Paino said.

“It really startled me, and as I was coming back up it swam up too, and went straight from the bottom to the top and grabbed him by the leg.”

Mr Paino said he tried to poke the shark with his speargun but the animal was just out of reach.

“If it had wanted to come back it could’ve, but thank God it left. I think I startled it, to be honest.”

Mr Dodds was initially taken to the Leeman Nursing Post, with the Royal Flying Doctor Service later flying him to Perth.

Meanwhile, the Shire of Carnamah has closed the access track into Gum Tree Bay.

“The beach closure in this area will remain in place until 2pm today, subject to no further shark sightings,” DPIRD said.

Fisheries officers will also continue to conduct land patrols in the area until 2pm on Thursday.

https://www.news.com.au
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2021 Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attack in 2021”