"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

09/20/2015 - Braxton Rocha - Hawaii

Shark Attacks as they happen in 2015 Shark Attacks 2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite bites 2015 worldwide shark attack 2015
alb

09/20/2015 - Braxton Rocha - Hawaii

Post by alb »

GRAPHIC: Diver Attacked By Shark Takes Gruesome Selfie

Braxton Rocha was badly wounded by a shark two days ago, but that didn't stop him from posting a very graphic selfie of the wound.

The 27-year-old was spearfishing in waters 60 yards off the coast of Hawaii's Big Island on Sunday when a 13-foot tiger shark bit his left leg, according the the state Department of Land and Natural Resources.

Rocha reportedly swam back to shore after the attack and a friend called for help. He was then loaded into the back of a private vehicle, where he took a selfie and posted it to Instagram.

"Just got attacked by a tiger shark! Hoo! Going to the hospital," a grimacing Rocha says to the camera, before pointing it at the gaping wound and missing flesh on his left leg.

Rocha said his original video was removed from Instagram due its graphic nature, but we've included a YouTube version at the bottom of this article. If you're sensitive to blood, cartoonist Drew Toonz recreated a PG cartoon version of Rocha's selfie.

Rocha was taken to the North Hawaii Hospital in serious condition and underwent surgery on his left leg, the Hawaii Herald-Tribune reported. His condition was improving, according to Hawaii News Now.

Rocha was well enough to take another selfie from his hospital bed on Monday night, keeping his friends updated.

"I just wanted to personally thank everyone out there for their kind and loving words and all of the prayers sent my way," Rocha wrote on his social media pages. "This kanaka [native Hawaiian] ain't getting taken out that easily!"

He also expressed his respect for the ocean and addressed those who guessed his injury was fake.

"Can't wait to get back into the water ... No matter what, I'll always love sharks and have so much respect for the top predator," he wrote.

"To all the people that think my video was fake...all I have to say is I'm quite flattered that you think my badass level is something to admire and put down can't help I handled it like a true champ..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite”