"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/29/2013 – Bonnie J. Davis - Mexico

Recent Shark Attacks in 2013 and 2013 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents
alb

Post by alb »

We were staying at the Valentin Imperial Maya in the Riviera Maya, Mexico.

The resort that we were staying at is about 25 miles from Cancun and about 15-20 miles from Playa del Carmen.

On the morning of 7-29-13 around 11am I was attacked in the water.

I was in the beach area at the resort with a TON of other people in about 3.5 feet of water when I was hit on my right side like a ton of bricks. It was a hit and run type attack.

When I got hit I was surrounded by a ton of angel type fish that were gray/silver with stripes on them. A lady next to me was feeding the fish and my husband had also been feeding them. My husband was about 3 feet away from me when I got hit.

I turned fast and vaguely remember seeing something gray swimming away from me. My husband recalls seeing something like that also.

I didn't know I had been bit at first and my instinct was to get out of the water as fast as possible.

When I got to waist level, I could feel the burning and then when I looked down, I saw blood coming out of me in the water and my flesh hanging out of my right side.

There was a doctor or medic at the resort and I was told that they thought I had been bit by a barracuda as there have been some other attacks in the area but evidently none that ever happened at this resort or in that area before.

There was a doctor or medic at the resort and I was told that they thought I had been bit by a barracuda as there have been some other attacks in the area but evidently none that ever happened at this resort or in that area before.

The resort didn't close down the beach or ask other people to get out of the water.

A lot of people around me got out of the water though after they saw me coming out with blood running down me.

The bleeding had stopped before I was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Cancun called Hospiten. There was a team of doctors waiting for me when I got there. A few different doctors looked at the wound/bite marks and indicated that they thought I was bit by a shark, not a barracuda based on the bite marks.

I was attacked on the 2nd day of being in the ocean ever in my life. I was always afraid to go into the ocean because of sharks, etc. and I honestly don't know if I could ever go in again.
bonnie-davis.JPG (25.77 KiB) Viewed 37235 times
Source: Bonnie Davis - SAS
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2013 Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attacks 2013”