"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

05/01/2010 Caitlin Dubois ( Florida )

Recent listing of shark attacks 2010 and Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2010.
helmi

Re: 05/01/2010 Caitlin Dubois ( Florida )

Post by helmi »

Year’s 1st Shark Bite Can’t Faze Girl, 10

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:27:32 AM

Reported by Jason Wheeler

NEW SMYRNA BEACH -- A 10-year-old Orlando girl has become Volusia County’s first shark bite victim of 2010 -- and she said she can’t wait to go back to the beach.

Before last weekend, there had been 237 unprovoked shark bites along Volusia County’s coastline since 1882, most of which happened in the “shark bite capital of the world,” New Smyrna Beach.

The good news: After all those bites through the years, there have been zero deaths.

Victim No. 238: Caitlin Dubois, also lived to tell the tale of her run-in with a shark in the murky waters miles away from Shark Bite Central: the jetty at Ponce Inlet.

Caitlin said she was wading in the water around 10:30 a.m. Saturday, when a shark took hold of her ankle -- but it quickly let go.

“It just came over, bit me, hung on for 3 seconds and then swam away,” she told News 13. “The lifeguard said by the size of the mouth bite, it was a 4-foot shark.”

If you think that’s going to keep Caitlin out of the water for good, think again. The spunky 10-year-old said she’ll play the odds.

“I like swimming in the ocean,” she said. “It’s a freak thing, and a one-in-a-million chance that I would get bitten by a shark. So it really wouldn’t happen again, I don’t think.”

Considering what happened to Caitlin, her spirit is encouraging. If someone loves the beach and the ocean, nothing will keep them away.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010 ... rl_10.html
helmi

05/01/2010 Caitlin Dubois ( Florida )

Post by helmi »

A 10-year-old girl was bitten by a shark in waist-deep water off New Smyrna Beach.
The girl suffered minor injuries to her right ankle ( 6 to 8 puncture wounds ).

Shark Bites Girl, 10, At New Smyrna Beach

Beach Patrol Captain Urges Parents To Watch Children

POSTED: 12:27 pm EDT May 1, 2010

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. -- A 10-year-old girl was bit by a shark in New Smyrna Beach Saturday morning.

Volusia Beach Patrol Capt. Scott Petersohn said the girl was bit in waist-deep water just north of 27th Avenue.

The girl, from Orlando, was bitten on her right ankle. Petersohn said the bite was minor, with about six to eight puncture wounds that he said were characteristic of shark bites. He said the girl didn't see what bit her.

She was taken to a doctor to see about additional treatment.

Petersohn said the water was choppy and murky, which is normal this time of year.

"We urge parents to watch their children," Petersohn said. "We also warn people that it's illegal to lay on the beach between parked cars, because of the danger of being run over."

http://www.wesh.com/news/23329736/detail.html

Return to “2010 Shark Attack Related Incidents”