"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

02/01/2010 Aaron Muilwyk ( New Zealand ) No Injury

Recent listing of shark attacks 2010 and Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2010.
sharkbait
Site Admin

02/01/2010 Aaron Muilwyk ( New Zealand ) No Injury

Post by sharkbait »

Invercargill man Aaron Muilwyk said he had a close encounter with a shark and has a chewed-up speargun to prove it.

More tales of shark encounters surfacing

SAY 'TEETH': Aiden Swale, of Invercargill, with a shark he caught in Foveaux Strait near Bluff on Tuesday night. The 2m shark is the same species, a broad-nosed seven-gill shark, that bit Invercargill teen Lydia Ward at Oreti Beach the same evening.
SAY 'TEETH': Aiden Swale, of Invercargill, with a shark he caught in Foveaux Strait near Bluff on Tuesday night. The 2m shark is the same species, a broad-nosed seven-gill shark, that bit Invercargill teen Lydia Ward at Oreti Beach the same evening.
aiden_swale.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 13931 times

Other tales of close encounters with sharks are emerging after an attack on an Invercargill teen this week.

Invercargill man Aaron Muilwyk said he had a close encounter with a shark and has a chewed-up speargun to prove it.

Aidan Swale, of Invercargill, likened himself to Maui pulling up New Zealand when he recounted his battle with a 2m shark as he struggled to bring it aboard his boat on Tuesday night.

The men contacted The Southland Times after hearing about Lydia Ward, who this week hit a shark in the head with her bodyboard to stave off an attack.

Mr Muilwyk was swimming near Cosy Nook about two weeks ago when he had a brush with a shark, not once but about eight times.

He was catching moki, he said, and blood in the water attracted a shark that he estimated was 2m to 2.5m long. "I poked it with my speargun and it went away. I thought that was the end of it."

It came back and he lunged at it with his knife, striking it in the snout, Mr Muilwyk said.

"It went away again but it kept hanging around. I wondered what is this thing doing?"

He could not identify what species of shark it was.

The shark came back again and Mr Muilwyk said he jammed his speargun in its mouth to fend it off.

He was uninjured, but his speargun was scratched and slashed by the shark's teeth.

Because of the graze he made with his knife, he knew it was the same shark, he said.

"I don't know if it wanted me or my fish. But it was pretty full on."

If he had not had his gun it could have been "curtains", he said.

Meanwhile, another battle between man and beast unfolded in Foveaux Strait on Tuesday.

Mr Swale was fishing for blue cod in the strait with a friend.

What initially appeared to be a snag in the line ended up being a more than one-hour battle to land the shark – a 2m broad-nosed seven-gill.

"Aw, mate, it was big. I though I'd pulled New Zealand," he said.

After a 30-minute battle to bring the animal to the surface, he estimated it took another 30 minutes to land the shark, which was pulled aboard another boat using a gaffe, he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3299343 ... -surfacing

Return to “2010 Shark Attack Related Incidents”