"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/11/2009 John Cooper ( Bahamas )

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
helmi

Re: 07/11/2009 John Cooper ( Bahamas )

Post by helmi »

LINK to youtube:
!!SHARK BITES BOAT CAPTAIN!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllUskSVEdc

-
helmi

07/11/2009 John Cooper ( Bahamas )

Post by helmi »

Provoked Incident.
A 6 ft. shark was harpooned in the head when it got too close to a group of spearfishermen.
The injured shark went crazy and bit on John Cooper's leg leaving a huge gash.

Fisherman attacked by 6-foot shark
July 14, 2009

MIAMI (WSVN) -- A fisherman is recovering in the hospital after a shark bit him in the Bahamas.

On Saturday, Captain John Cooper and a group of people were spear fishing in the Bahamas when they came across a 6-foot Caribbean shark. "These guys got a little close and out of self-defense, he shot the shark, and when he shot him, even though it was shot in the head, the shark went crazy," said Cooper. "The best analogy I could give you, if I put a spear in your back, you would probably run across the parking lot with your mouth open too."

The shark then chomped down on Cooper's leg leaving a huge gash. Cooper was no where near a hospital, so he took a 40 minute boat ride to Freeport, then a 30 minute ambulance ride to a hospital in the Bahamas. Cooper then decided to board a friend's plane and ride another five minutes before landing at Miami International Airport where an ambulance transported him to Jackson Memorial Hospital for surgery.

Cooper's surgeon said the bite could have been worst. "He was very lucky, a centimeter one way or the other, probably would have caught a major artery or a nerve," said Dr. Carl Schulman. "As it is, most of the skin was still intact so we managed to stretch it to cover pretty much the whole wound."

In May, Luis Hernandez was also spear fishing in the Bahamas when a shark bit his shoulder. It took nine surgeries to fix his wounds. "Next thing I saw was the face of the shark right next to my face, like a torpedo hit my body," said Hernandez.

Cooper said he has noticed over the years sharks becoming more aggressive and less fearful of people, but despite the dangers, he said he is ready to get out there. "It's not going to stop me from going back out there," said Cooper.

Doctors said Cooper is expected to make a full recovery.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI125820/

Return to “2009 Shark Attack Related Incidents”