"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

01/24/2009 Jeremy McDonagh ( Australia )

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
helmi

Re: 01/24/2009 Male ( Australia )

Post by helmi »

Shark attack victim says children were at risk

2009/01/28

A swimmer bitten by a shark on the New South Wales far south coast at the weekend says it is lucky he was attacked rather than a child.

Jeremy McDonagh, 19, from Canberra, was swimming between the flags in a metre of water at Surf Beach, near Batemans Bay on Saturday, when the shark struck.

Mr McDonagh says children were swimming next to him when the shark latched on to his arm causing severe bleeding.

He says the wounds needed hospital treatment.

"It was all infected, so I had to get antibiotics and tetanus shots because they said there was bacteria in the shark's mouth," he said.

"They said it was all rotten meat, so you can get a real bad infection and stuff that I didn't realise until the next day when my hand was all puffed up and killing me."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 476391.htm

------------------------
sharkbait
Site Admin

01/24/2009 Jeremy McDonagh ( Australia )

Post by sharkbait »

A MAN has been bitten while swimming on the New South Wales south coast in what may have been a shark attack.---

Shark suspected of mystery hand bite

AAP

January 24, 2009 07:17pm

A MAN has been bitten while swimming on the New South Wales south coast in what may have been a shark attack.

The man's bloody hand was treated by lifeguards at Surf Beach, near Batemans Bay, after he emerged from the water about 4.30pm (AEDT) today.

A spokesman from Surf Life Saving NSW said it may have been a shark but the man did not see what attacked him and no sharks were sighted in the area.

"A gentleman came out of the water towards the lifeguard with his hand all bleeding,'' the spokesman said.

"The lifeguard noticed there were some distinctive marks and some scrape marks where he's pulled away.''

The man was treated at the scene and went home on his own.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24 ... public_rss

Return to “2009 Shark Attack Related Incidents”