01/11/2009 Jonathon Beard ( Australia )

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
Post Reply
Site Admin
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:04 pm

01/11/2009 Jonathon Beard ( Australia )

Post by sharkbait » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:17 pm

---Shark attack: man bitten A man has been seriously injured in an apparent shark attack near Tweed Heads in northern NSW.-----

Shark attack: man bitten

January 11, 2009 - 10:44AM

A man has been seriously injured in an apparent shark attack near Tweed Heads in northern NSW.

The NSW Ambulance service said paramedics were called to Fingal Head, near Tweed Heads, just before 9.30am (AEDT) on Sunday.

A man, believed to be in his 30s, suffered serious wounds to his upper thigh consistent with a shark bite, an ambulance statement said.

Paramedics and the ambulance helicopter were at the scene.

The injured man is expected to be flown to a Queensland hospital.

More details were being sought.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/sha ... 00146.html

Site Admin
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Re: 01/11/2009 unknown ( Australia )

Post by sharkbait » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Surfer uses leg rope to stop bleeding after shark attack

Article from: The Courier-Mail

Jeremy Pierce

January 11, 2009 09:05am

A SURFER who was attacked by a large shark on the NSW north coast this morning wrapped a leg rope around his thigh to stop the bleeding.
Police said the 31-year-old Brisbane man was being airlifted to the Gold Coast Hospital in a stable condition.

The man had been surfing with a group of friends at Dreamtime Beach at Fingal Heads when a large shark bit him about 8.30am.

He made it to shore with the help of his mates, who used his leg rope as a tourniquet as they waited for help.

It was unclear what type of shark attacked the man, police said.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 53,00.html

Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: 01/11/2009 unknown ( Australia )

Post by helmi » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:21 pm


A 31-year-old Brisbane man is in the Gold Coast Hospital after being attacked by a shark off Fingal Beach in northern New South Wales.

The surfer was attacked while he sat on his board waiting for a break about 100 metres south of Fingal Headland.

A CareFlight spokesman says the board rider felt something bite him and he was able to use his leg rope to compress the wound and paddle back to shore.

He has a 40-centimetre wound between the knee and his left hip.

The 31-year-old is due to undergo surgery and is in a stable condition in hospital.

An air-and-sea search has failed to find the shark believed to involved in the attack.

Bob Muller from Surf Life Saving Queensland says a four-metre shark was sighted a few hours before the attack at nearby Rainbow Beach on the southern end of the Gold Coast, but he says it is difficult to know if it was the same one.

"It's very hard to say that. The suggestion is probably not, it's probably a different animal but it would be very, very hard to say that for sure," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... e=brisbane


Site Admin
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Re: 01/11/2009 Jonathon Beard ( Australia )

Post by sharkbait » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:35 am

Shark attack victim: `Don't kill them'
Justin Warren with shark attack victim Jono Beard at the Gold Coast Hospital after surgery to his badly bitten leg. Justin was one of Jono's mates that came to his aid afte the attack at Fingal Head.
jono_beard.jpg (20.88 KiB) Viewed 12036 times
Kathleen Donaghey

January 16th, 2009

SHARK victim Jono Beard has spoken for the first time about the day a great white bit a chunk from his leg, missing a vital artery by just 2cm, while surfing off Fingal Beach, south of the Gold Coast.

Walking with crutches and a heavily bandaged left thigh, the 31-year-old Brisbane machine driver said today that Sunday's attack was so violent he was lifted out of the water, as though he were riding a bull.

Mr Beard said he knew from the great force and strength of the animal which had `come up from the deep' and sunk its teeth into his thigh that it wasn't a bull shark.

``I never thought it was a bull shark because of the way it lifted me from the water,'' he said.

Mr Beard leaves Gold Coast Hospital today and, in light of his speedy recovery, is expected to be able to surf in about one month.

Clearly exhausted from five days in hospital and the emotional ups and downs of realising the full scale of what could have gone wrong, Mr Beard said he looked forward to seeing his dog aka and hitting South Stradbroke Island, but probably would not surf at Fingal.

Mr Beard said he held no malice towards sharks and while he agreed some rogue predators should be killed, he did not agree with culling.

``I was in his territory, a national park, with no nets. It was his playground and I was in his turf,'' said Mr Beard.

Mr Beard said he planned to have one of the animal's teeth laid in silver and would also frame the bitten surfboard in his room in New Farm, where he lives with his grandmother.

Speaking to a media pack, Mr Beard said he left Brisbane early last Sunday morning to surf with his Cairns buddies at Dreamtime Beach, one of their favourite spots.

The tide was high, the water a dark green and dolphins jumped between the waves, creating a sense of security.

Mr Beard said he was about 100m out and waiting mindlessly for a decent wave when the great white struck, lifting him out of the ocean and then five seconds later, leaving.

Trying to brush away the animal and managing to stay on his board, Mr Beard said at first it didn't register what what happened.

But as `buckets of blood' began turning the water red, he knew.

``It didn't register at first, it was like a burning sensation before the agony,'' said Mr Beard.

``Then the sea turned red like a Jaws movie.''

As he paddled frantically to shore his leg felt as though it was `hanging off' and all the while his greatest fear was that the shark would return for a second attempt and rip him to bits.

He made it about half way back to shore on his board, holding his legs in the air, before he was dragged from the surf by his mates, who tied his bleeding his leg with a leg rope and torn rashies.

Mr Beard said he knew from the blood flow that he was going to be all right and was thankful to all who ensured that was the case, including locals on the beach, the ambulance, CareFlight and police crews, his mates and staff at Gold Coast Hospital.

Head of orthopaedics, Dr Don Pitchford, said the fact the patient made it to hospital so quickly meant speedy treatment and recovery.

Although no arteries, nerves or bone were damaged in the attack, Dr Pitchford said the bite was only 2cm from a vital artery leg which, if severed, would have left Jono dead.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/200 ... -news.html

Site Admin
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Re: 01/11/2009 Jonathon Beard ( Australia )

Post by sharkbait » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:38 am

Surfer: 'Sea Went Red With Blood'

9:23pm UK, Friday January 16, 2009
A surfer has described the moment he was bitten by a Great White shark as being "like a Jaws movie".
The victim won't be going back to Fingal beach anytime soon
jono_beard2.jpg (17.17 KiB) Viewed 12026 times
Shark survivor Jonathon Beard

The victim won't be going back to Fingal beach anytime soon

The first Jonathon Beard knew of the attack was when he felt a tug on his leg and saw the sea turn red with his own blood.

The four-metre-long shark left a 42cm slash in the Australian's thigh, missing the main artery by just two centimetres.

He was saved by quick-thinking friends who used their surfboard ropes and clothes as a tourniquet while they paddled the 70 metres back to the shore.

Scene from Jaws

"It lifted me out of the water like I was riding a bull or something," Mr Beard, 31, said.

"The sea just turned red, it was like a Jaws movie. That was probably the scariest thing - paddling back I thought I was a goner," he explained.

He required several operations after the attack off Fingal Beach in New South Wales on January 11.

But the machinery operator, who lives in Brisbane, said he would go back into the sea when he is fully recovered.

However, he added he may choose a different place to Fingal Beach, which he described as having "shark written all over it".

The attack came two weeks after a swimmer was thought to have been taken by a large shark on the country's west coast.

Brian Guest, 51, disappeared while snorkelling south of Perth on December 27, after witnesses saw fins and blood in the water.

Around 194 people have died in shark attacks in Australia in the last 200 years.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... Jaws_Movie

Post Reply