Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2005
sharkbait
Site Admin

11/27/2005 Blake Perry (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Surfer Becomes Latest Shark Attack Victim

POSTED: 6:51 am EST November 28, 2005
UPDATED: 7:40 am EST November 28, 2005

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. -- A 23-year-old surfer is recovering after becoming the third shark bite victim on New Smyrna Beach in as many weeks.

It isn't usually a time of year when we see a lot of attacks on the Volusia County coast, but experts point to some specific factors, from the roughness of the surf to unusually low visibility, that's making it open season on surfers.

"It happened quick," said surfer Blake Perry.

In the waters off New Smyrna Beach, Perry was trying to enjoy what was left of his holiday weekend. But when he looked down Sunday, his hand was covered in blood.

"At first, it didn't hurt. I looked at it and I was kind of in shock," he said.

After a while, he realized he'd become the third shark bite victim off Volusia County in just three weeks.

"Same time, same depth of water, same visibility, which is poor. Surf was about three foot," said Capt. Jack Driskell, Volusia County Beach Patrol.

Experts say the rough surf and the higher amount of bait fish than normal has brought sharks closer to the coast than normal for this time of year. As the signs on the beach attest, even standing in the water can be dangerous.

Perry was lucky. Unlike past victims, he walked himself right into the hospital. His injury was minor and he plans to get right back into the water.

"I figure this is a once in a lifetime thing. Hopefully it won't happen again. I've already got mine out of the way," he said.

The shark bit through tendons in Perry's hand. Doctors said he will need surgery.

http://www.wftv.com/news/5415917/detail.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Shark bites surfer´s hand

By MELANIE STAWICKI AZAM
STAFF WRITER

NEW SMYRNA BEACH — A local man who fell off his surfboard about 100 yards south of the south jetty at Ponce de Leon Inlet was the victim of a suspected shark bite on his right hand Sunday.

"This is the 10th bite for the year and the third in three weekends," said Volusia County Beach Patrol Capt. Scott Petersohn.

The 23-year-old New Smyrna Beach man, who was not identified, was bitten about 2 p.m. and not treated by medics, Petersohn said. Instead, the man went with a friend to Bert Fish Medical Center to be treated for cuts and possible tendon damage to his hand, Petersohn said. He was referred to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach.

Petersohn said it was a little unusual to have so many shark bites this time of year, but he said there are tons of baitfish in the area and the ocean is churned up and murky. He said the surfer did not see the shark that bit him.

A surfer heading to shore the afternoon of Nov. 20 also was the victim of a suspected shark bite. Petersohn said the 17-year-old Winter Springs boy, who was not identified, was coming to shore about 2:30 p.m. near the south jetty when he was bitten on his upper right thigh.

The teen was taken by ambulance to Bert Fish. Petersohn said Sunday he had mistakenly reported the Nov. 20 bite as the 10th of the year when it was actually the ninth.

Other bites reported in recent weeks include an 18-year-old man surfing near the south jetty who was bitten on the foot Nov. 12. A 15-year-old boy was bitten on the foot Oct. 15 after stepping on a shark as he waded around the north jetty.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/speci ... 112805.htm

Return to “2005 Reported Shark Incidents”