Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2005
sharkbait
Site Admin

11/12/2005 Lance Cameron (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Posted on Sun, Nov. 13, 2005

Teen surfer bitten by shark off Fla. coast

Associated Press

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. - A surfer dangling his feet into the Atlantic Ocean on Florida's east coast was bitten by a shark, authorities said.

The 18-year-old man was surfing in water up to 8 feet deep near the New Smyrna Beach jetty Saturday when the shark swam up and bit him, said Scott Petersohn, spokesman for the Volusia County Beach Patrol.

"This was a case of mistaken identity," Petersohn told the Daytona Beach News-Journal. "The guy's foot dangling in the water looks a lot like a fish."

The man, who was not identified, suffered puncture wounds on his right foot, Petersohn said. He was taken to a hospital by ambulance in stable condition, officials said.

The size of the shark was not known.

The incident was the second confirmed shark bite off a beach in this county in less than a month, authorities said. A 15-year-old boy suffered minor injuries when he stepped on a shark Oct. 15 at the Ponce Inlet jetty.

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/13156905.htm
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Shark bites surfer, 18, near jetty

STAFF REPORT

An 18-year-old man surfing near the New Smyrna Beach jetty was bitten by a shark Saturday, authorities said.

The New Smyrna Beach man was in about 6 to 8 feet of water about 1 p.m., his foot dangling from a surfboard, when the shark bit him, said Scott Petersohn, spokesman for the Volusia County Beach Patrol. The man suffered puncture wounds to the top and bottom of his right foot, Petersohn said. The size of the shark was not known.

The surfer was taken to Bert Fish Medical Center by EVAC ambulance in stable condition, said Mark O´Keefe, spokesman for the service. The victim´s name was not available.

This was the second shark bite in less than a month. A 15-year-old boy was bitten on the foot Oct. 15 at the Ponce Inlet jetty after he stepped on a shark as he waded into the water. He suffered minor injuries. Petersohn said it´s normal for sharks to swim

http://www.news-journalonline.com/speci ... 111305.htm
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Teen Discusses Shark Attack: "I Had A Nightmare About It"

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. -- A six-foot shark attacked a New Smyrna Beach surfer this weekend. The shark clamped down on the surfer's foot and tried to pull him into the water.

The surfer who was bitten said, by the time he saw the shark, its teeth were already embedded in his foot.

Lance Cameron shows off his cast after the attack.

Lance Cameron now has a cast in common with his little dog, Dumpling, who was stepped on by a horse. Lance was bitten by something smaller, but much more deadly.

"I saw a flash in the water next to me," Lance explained.

Out on his surfboard this weekend in New Smyrna Beach, Lance had no idea he was on the menu, until he came face to face with a bull shark.

"As soon as I saw the shark, it just bit my foot and tried to pull me off my board," he explained.

Lance's foot shows the damage done by the shark.

Lance was able to hold on to his board and rip his foot free. Lance said he tried to warn his friends to get out, too.

"I screamed at all my friends to get out of the water. They all thought I was kidding around, you know," Lance said.

His friends realized he was serious when the water, and Lance, changed color.

"My face turned pale. The water around me turned red," Lance said.

The six-foot shark severed the tendons in Lance's foot. He will need surgery. He said he will eventually get back in the water, but he said his physical wounds would heal before his mental ones do.

"I had dreams about it. I had a nightmare about it. It's scary," Lance said.

This is the second shark bite in Volusia County in less than a month. Beach Patrol said this is the time of year that the baitfish move close to shore and where there's baitfish, there are sharks.

http://www.wftv.com/news/5324464/detail.html

Return to “2005 Reported Shark Incidents”