"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/22/2019 - Chris Bryan - Florida

We list all 2019 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2019 or Attack these include attacks and other shark related incidents for ocean goers safety...
alb

03/22/2019 - Chris Bryan - Florida

Post by alb »

Chris Bryan shark attack Martin County shark attack shark attack at Hobe Sound Beach***

JUPITER ISLAND — By the time Jupiter surfer Chris Bryan realized what happened, it was already over.

"It was so fast," he said Sunday from his room at Jupiter Medical Center. "I didn't think it was as bad as it ended up being."

About 4 p.m. Friday, Bryan, 42, said he was bitten on the foot by a shark at Hobe Sound Beach, just after catching his last wave of the day.

"I took a wave back in, jumped off my board and the second my feet touched the water, it grabbed me," Bryan said.

More: Sharks are much closer than you may think, especially January through March

More: Three OCEARCH white sharks, Miss May, Katharine, Miss Costa, surface off Treasure Coast

It was over in less than a second, he said. Bystanders pulled him from the water and called for a medic. Someone wrapped a towel around his left foot to staunch the bleeding.
Chris Bryan, 42, of Jupiter, was bitten on the foot by a shark off Hobe Sound Beach Friday afternoon.

Chris Bryan, 42, of Jupiter, was bitten on the foot by a shark off Hobe Sound Beach Friday afternoon. (Photo: CONTRIBUTED PHOTO BY CHRIS BRYAN)

He didn't realize the extent of the damage until they pulled back the towel to show the lifeguard.

"The top of my foot was just laid open," Bryan said. "It was really surreal. I couldn't believe what just happened."

He had surgery Friday to repair a severed tendon and close the wound, which took so many stitches the surgeon actually ran out of thread during the operation, he said.

"They had to send the nurses up to get more," he said, laughing.

"It's going to leave a good scar," he added, and a good story to tell his students at South Fork High School in Stuart, where he teaches math.

Bryan said he didn't see the shark that bit him but estimated it was about four feet long, based on the size of the bite

He said he has no second thoughts about stepping foot back in the water — not even the bad one.

"Not at all," he said. "As soon as I can, I'll be back out there."
Chris Bryan, 42, was bitten on the foot by a shark off Hobe Sound Beach Friday afternoon.

Chris Bryan, 42, was bitten on the foot by a shark off Hobe Sound Beach Friday afternoon. (Photo: CONTRIBUTED PHOTO BY SHERI BRYAN)

Between January and March each year, thousands of blacktip and spinner sharks migrate south along the Florida coast. The close proximity of sharks and beachgoers, particularly surfers, helps make Florida the "shark bite capital of the world.

https://www.tcpalm.com
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2019 Shark Attacks and Shark Attack Related Incidents”