"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

10/31/2014 - Mckenzie Clark - Hawaii

We list all 2014 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2014 or Attack these include attacks and other shark related incidents for ocean goers safety...
helmi

Re: 10/31/2014 - Mckenzie Clark - Hawaii

Post by helmi »

Surfer escapes shark after friend punches it in the nose

Nov. 3, 2014 at 8:38 AM

"I saw the shark coming at her again, I grabbed the dorsal of the shark. I started kicking at the shark and using my board -- I started punching the shark. I felt like I was going to break my hand -- but the shark shuddered, and then headed out to sea," said her friend.

NORTH KOHALA, Hawaii, Nov. 3 (UPI) -- McKenzie Clark, who was surfing off the coast of Hawaii, was saved from a shark attack after her friend Brian Wargo punched it five times in the nose.

Clark said she felt a bump on her board when a 12-foot-long tiger shark bit her hand and the board. She pulled her hand away and Wargo grabbed the dorsal fin of the shark and punched it in the nose. The shark then turned away swam back out to sea.

"She couldn't get the leash off her foot," said Wargo. "I saw the shark coming at her again, I grabbed the dorsal of the shark. I started kicking at the shark and using my board -- I started punching the shark. I felt like I was going to break my hand -- but the shark shuddered, and then headed out to sea."

Wargo drove to the hospital with Clark going into shock. She received stitches on her two injured fingers and will be going to the hospital for further skin grafts.

Source: UPI
helmi

10/31/2014 - Mckenzie Clark - Hawaii

Post by helmi »

North Kohala shark attack (correction) 10-31-14
Published: October 31, 2014
Hawaiʻi Police Department
North Kohala District
Officer Dale Ku
Report No. M14060981

Media Release (corrects name of hospital in 2nd and 4th paragraphs)

A 34-year-old Kailua-Kona woman was attacked by a shark while surfing at Halaula Lighthouse in North Kohala.
At 11:12 a.m. Friday (October 31), police received a report that the victim was en route to North Hawaiʻi Community Hospital with injuries to two fingers.
Police determined that the woman had been surfing with a friend when the friend saw her board lift out of the water with her on it. The friend saw what he described as a 12- to 15-foot tiger shark with the board in its mouth. The shark then began to tow the board out to sea, dragging the woman, who was attached to it with a surfing leash. As the male friend paddled toward her, the shark let go of the surfboard. After the friend hit the shark, it swam away.
The woman and her friend paddled to shore and went by private vehicle to North Hawaiʻi Community Hospital, where she is being treated for her injuries.
The Department of Land and Natural Resources has closed the beach and posted shark warning signs.
Source: Hawaii Police.

Return to “2014 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2014 or Attack”