"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

01/24/2009 Sikhanyiso Bangilizwe (South Africa) ***Fatal***

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 01/24/2009 Sikhanyiso Bangilizwe (South Africa) ***Fatal***

Post by sharkbait »

These pictures of Sikhanyiso Bangilizwe shark attack fatality are very graphic.

http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/index_f ... ilizwe.pdf
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Exact location of attack. Boat in picture has Victim inside
Exact location of attack. Boat in picture has Victim inside
helmi

Post by helmi »

Killer shark identified as Zambezi after examination of lifeguard‘s body

January 28, 2009

A ZAMBEZI shark was responsible for attacking and killing a Port St Johns lifeguard at the weekend, Natal Sharks Board head researcher Geremy Cliff said yesterday.

He said warm waters along the Eastern Cape coast in summer attracted the sharks.

Seasoned lifeguard Sikhanyiso Bangilizwe, 27, was attacked by the shark on Saturday afternoon while swimming with a friend at Second Beach.

He was bitten on the shoulder, right arm, back and buttocks.

Cliff said an examination of Bangilizwe‘s body had established that a Zambezi (bull) shark had attacked him.

“The Zambezi sharks prefer warm water and it is unlikely that you will find them in Cape Town‘s water, but they visit the Eastern Cape coast in summer when the water is warm.”

He said there were no shark nets along the Eastern Cape coast. “Shark nets are found only in KwaZulu Natal, but are needed all over.”

Environmental consultant Conroy van der Riet said factors which could have contributed to the attack included the spillage of untreated sewage in the water, the way Bangilizwe was swimming and blood in the water.

“Untreated sewage in the water attracts fish, which attract sharks,” he said.

“There may also have been raw meat in the water as a result of traditional healers making a sacrifice or he may have been urinating in the water, which attracts sharks.”

East London Coastal and Environmental Services director Dr Alan Carter agreed that sewage could attract sharks.

“Body fluids and other wastes contained in sewage, even bloody water from abattoirs, could directly attract sharks to an area.

“Also, sewage can attract fish on which sharks feed,” Carter said.

He said one of the recommendations in the International Shark Attack File on how to avoid becoming a victim of a shark attack, was to avoid swimming in water containing sewage.

Bayworld Port Elizabeth shark expert Malcolm Smaile said the incident had been unfortunate.

“There is a low probability of attacks. Bangilizwe was unfortunate,” Smaile said.

The Herald reported last month on the presence in Algoa Bay of tens of thousands of blue rays, which appear every year from October and stay in the area for about three months.

The blue rays, which grow to about 60cm in diameter, attract several varieties of shark, including the Zambezi.

Smaile said, however: “Fewer and fewer sharks are seen along the coast because people are catching and killing them, creating pressure on the population.”

Bangilizwe‘s older sister, Nomvesi Mandilizwe, said funeral preparations were on hold until the results of the post-mortem were known. It was being carried out yesterday.

http://www.theherald.co.za/herald/news/n17_28012009.htm

---------------------------------------------
helmi

Post by helmi »

Lifeguard savaged to death by shark

PORT ELIZABETH Monday January 26, 2009

A LIFEGUARD watched in horror as his friend was savaged to death by a giant shark while they were swimming together at Port St Johns at the weekend.

Sikhanyiso Bangilizwe, 25, was bitten in half by a suspected tiger shark at about noon on Saturday while he was catching waves with a friend at Second Beach.

He is the second lifeguard to be killed by a shark in two years in the small Eastern Cape town.

Port St Johns police station commissioner Morgan Naicker said the shark had bitten off half of Bangilizwe‘s body, including his right arm, shoulder, back and buttock.

“This is a relatively safe beach – this is sad incident.”

Wild Coast Guards managing director Khaya Mjo said the beach had been closed for swimming following the attack, but was opened again yesterday “as it was felt it was safe.”

“We have had a successful year so far with no drownings, so this is bad.”

Naicker said the death of Bangilizwe, a qualified member of the Wild Coast Guards, came two years after another lifeguard, Sibulele Masiza, was killed by a shark in January 2007.

“We assume that Masiza was bitten by a tiger shark. His flippers were found with shark teeth marks, but his body was never recovered”.

Fellow lifeguard Tshintshekile Nduve said he had gone swimming at a familiar spot with Bangilizwe on Saturday.

“He was catching waves further away and I heard his cries. I saw he was in trouble and the shark was on him. I saw blood and went to get help.”

Nduve said lifeguards dispatched a power boat but it was too late.

He said he had been battling to sleep after watching his friend die.

“To see him die has made it difficult. I wish I could get some pills. I am not well, but I will continue to go into the water as a lifeguard,” he said.

Vuyo Maza, one of the lifeguards who sped to the scene on the boat, said he was in the watch tower when the incident happened.

He said he had never witnessed such horror.

“When we went out he was already dead. His body was so badly injured, we could see his insides ... it was the scariest thing I ever saw. The shark bit Bangilizwe in three chunks.

Maza recounted how his friend Masiza was killed in 2007.

“When Masiza was killed by a shark I never saw his body. Only his flippers were recovered. Seeing Bangilizwe die has broken my heart.”

“The spirit is down among the guys, but they will go into the water,” Mjo said. Results from tests by the sharks board would confirm the type of shark that killed Bangilizwe.

http://www.theherald.co.za/herald/news/n01_26012009.htm
helmi

01/24/2009 Sikhanyiso Bangilizwe (South Africa) ***Fatal***

Post by helmi »

Date: January 24, 2009.

Victim was attacked by a giant shark while he was catching waves off Second Beach with friends.
The man died from massive injuries (shark had bitten off half of victim's body, including his right arm,
shoulder, back and buttock).
- Shark species presumably involved in this attack: Bull shark ( Carcharhinus leucas ).

Article:

Shark rips Wild Coast lifeguard into pieces

Own Correspondent
January 26 2009 at 08:06AM

A lifeguard watched in horror as his friend was torn apart by a giant shark off Port St Johns in Port Elizabeth at the weekend.

Sikhanyiso Bangilizwe, 25, of Port St Johns, was bitten in half by what is suspected to be atiger shark while he was catching waves off Second Beach with a friend on Saturday.

He was a member of the Wild Coast Guards and was off-duty.

He is the second lifeguard in two years to have been killed by a shark at the Eastern Cape resort.

Police station commissioner Morgan Naicker said the shark had bitten off Bangilizwe's right arm, shoulder, part of his back and buttock.

"This is a relatively safe beach. This is a sad incident."

Lifeguard Sibulele Masiza was killed by a shark in January 2007.

"We assume that Masiza was bitten by a tiger shark, his flippers were found with shark teeth marks, but his body was not recovered," Naicker said.

Bangilizwe was his family's breadwinner, said Tshintshekile Nduve, a fellow lifeguard.

Nduve said he and Bangilizwe were swimming at a familiar spot on Saturday.

"He was catching waves in the water further from where I was and when we passed the waves, I heard his cries.

"I saw he was in trouble and the shark on him, I saw blood and I went out of the water to get help."

When lifeguards got a boat into the sea, it was too late, Nduve said.

He said he had had trouble sleeping since seeing his friend being savaged by the shark.

"To see him die has made it difficult for me to sleep. I wish I could get pills so that I don't get troubled.

"I am not well, but I will continue to go into the water as a lifeguard."

Vuyo Maza, one of the lifeguards who sped to the scene by boat, said he was at the tower when the attack took place.

Maza said he had not seen such horror before.

"When we went out to the water Bangilizwe was dead, his body was badly injured, we could see his insides - it was the scariest thing I have ever seen."

The shark ripped Bangilizwe's body into three pieces.

Wild Coast Guards managing director Khaya Mjo said the beach had been closed for swimming after the attack.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 522C557005

Return to “2009 Shark Attack Related Incidents”