"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

02/01/2001 Soile Hamalainen (Cuba)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2001

Shark attack victim recovering in hospital

Post by Guest »

Thu Feb 1 17:14:57 2001

Shark attack victim recovering in hospital

TORONTO - Like something out of the movie, Jaws, a shark attacked a woman from Pickering, Ont., as she was swimming during her holiday in Cuba.

"The shark took me underwater and it was very, very strong" – Soile Hamalainen
Soile Hamalainen, 55, says she and her husband were swimming on Saturday about 20 metres offshore when she felt something slam up against her.

She says the next thing she knew, she saw the head of a shark at her shoulder with her arm already in its mouth.

"I started to scream," she said. "The shark took me underwater and it was very, very strong."

Her husband, Tarmo, 54, said he swam over to her as fast as he could. "I grabbed its fin with both of my hands and kicked it at the same time," he said.

Soile Hamalainen said she's never seen Jaws but she's seen a clip from the movie. "It was exactly like that, blood everywhere."

The shark ripped her arm open to the bone. She's in hospital in Toronto where she's already had two operations and will have more.

Hamalainen says the Cubans treated her very well. "I would like to go back to Cuba but not in the ocean."

02/01/2001 Soile Hamalainen (Cuba)

Post by Guest »

2/1/2001 Soile Hamalainen 55 Arm Cuba Cuba Cuba Swimming

Return to “2001 Reported Shark Attacks”