"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/21/2001 Jeke Metereti ( FIJI )

Shark Attack Related Incident News Archive for 2011 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents.
alb

Re: 03/21/2001 Jeke Metereti ( FIJI )

Post by alb »

Matereti: How a Shark Attack Shaped My Life
Despite living with a severed arm, the father of three still loves doing the things he loves best.
Fiji Sun23 Dec 2019LAISA LUI Edited by Naisa Koroi
Photo: Laisa Lui
jeke.jpeg
jeke.jpeg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 16355 times
Jeke Matereti with mum Talica Vakasawaqa in Nukudamu Village on December 17, 2019.
Being attacked by a shark eight years ago has not stopped Jeke Matereti of Nukudamu Village live life to the fullest – with one arm severed.

Not only has it given him a different perspective to life, it has developed in him a positive outlook of adapting and doing the things he loves best, even with one arm.

Today, he still enjoys diving but he has dedicated his time more on farming and generating a lot of income to support his three children.

The attack

Mr Matereti was attacked while free diving with his parents in the coast off Udu Point. He said the attack happened in the blink of an eye.

“I had noticed something white, swim underneath me from where I was diving, before I reached the surface, the shark had positioned itself for an attack,” he said.

“The rubber from my spear gun had loosened and I could not defend myself, as the shark was too fast for me and very swift in its attack.

“It headed for my stomach, but I braced my forearm and it took me over the surface and down in the depths of the ocean.

“I used the spear gun to poke its face, and that was how the shark released my arm and I made it to the surface. The boat was far away from me, but I had to get to it before my blood attracted other sharks.

“This is the first time this has ever happened to me because I have been diving the coast for more than 20 years and I know the location to find the large size fish,” Mr Matereti said.

Raising his injured left forearm above the water, he swam towards the boat with the help of his flippers. Bleeding heavily, Mr Matereti was rushed to the hospital.

Staying positive

Lying in his hospital bed for almost two months made him think hard and long about surviving with one arm.

Since his release from his hospital bed Mr Matereti has planted 5000 dalo tops. Two years ago, he saved another man who was also attacked by a shark in Savusavu. “My experience has given me another level of strength, to endure the hardships of life,” Mr Matereti said.

“I have also planted more than 7000 yasi, yams, pineapples, watermelon as my short-term crops. This is the eighth year of my project.

“Before, I was only an expert in diving, but after my shark attack experience I am using the land as another source of livelihood and targeting millions for my three children.

“I believe that God is keeping me alive for a reason only known to Him. This kind of experience moulds us and brings out the best in us when we look at it positively,” he said.

https://fijisun.com.fj/2019/12/23/jeke- ... d-my-life/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

Re: 03/21/2001 Jeke Metereti ( FIJI )

Post by alb »

Warning for divers following shark attack

Maneesha Karan
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Mother Talica Vakasawaqa with Metereti Jeke at the Labasa Hospital
Metereti_Jeke.jpg (30.13 KiB) Viewed 23787 times

DIVERS and fishermen are urged to be careful while handling their catch out at sea.

The warning follows an incident in which a diver was bitten by a shark near Udu in Vanua Levu early this week.

Northern Police Commander Seru Savou warned people to be careful while out at sea.

"Shark attacks aren't frequent in the north but it's no reason for people to become careless at sea," Mr Savou said.

He said the tying of their catch to string or rope could prove dangerous.

"Many fishermen tie their catch of fish onto a string which they tie to themselves. The fish smell can attract a shark's attention."

Shark victim Metereti Jeke, 30 is admitted at Labasa Hospital.

The shark attack forced doctors to amputate Mr Jeke's left forearm after most of it was bitten off during the attack on Monday.

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=169192
alb

03/21/2001 Jeke Metereti ( FIJI )

Post by alb »

A horrific shark attack at Udu in Vanua Levu forced doctors at the Labasa Hospital to remove the victim's left forearm, after most of it was bitten off during the attack on Monday.

Shark bite

Maneesha Karan
Thursday, March 24, 2011

A horrific shark attack at Udu in Vanua Levu forced doctors at the Labasa Hospital to remove the victim's left forearm, after most of it was bitten off during the attack on Monday.

Metereti Jeke, 30, survived the ordeal and says he will not fear the sea, as he lay in bed at the Labasa Hospital.

They were the only words the father of two uttered as he fought back tears.

Metereti has depended on the sea to feed his family.

His emotional mother Talica Vakasawaqa sat by his bedside yesterday and spoke about the chain of events that led to her son losing part of his arm. Mrs Vakasawaqa and her husband left their home at Nukudamu Village in a boat to pick Metereti, an uncle and a nephew for a diving trip on Monday morning. "After picking them up we went straight to the reef just opposite our village," Mrs Vakasawaqa said.

"It is a popular spot because we easily catch fish there. It was around 4pm when we decided to end the trip but Metereti decided to make one last dive.

"I went in with him and after a few minutes, I heard screams and people calling my name. I knew something had gone wrong. I threw my catch back into the water and hurried back to the boat."

The sight of her son shocked her.

"His left forearm had been ripped with the flesh dangling from the bone. He had two pieces of cloth tied above the bite but the blood kept oozing out."

The victim's father then tied a rope to prevent further blood loss and immediately took Metereti to Nabouono Health Centre.

The nurses there wrapped a bandage around the injury and referred him to the Lagi Medical Centre where he arrived around 6.30pm. After receiving minor treatment from the nurses, he was transferred to Labasa Hospital. Mrs Vakasawaqa said they left Lagi, which is about 90 kilometres away from Labasa Town, at about 11pm and reached Labasa at about 1.30am on Tuesday. It was a nightmare, Mrs Vakasawaqa said.

"My son was in a lot of pain and we feared losing him, but thanks to the ambulance driver who transported us so fast to Labasa. He had lost a lot of blood and my family and I have God and the doctors at the hospital to thank for saving his life."

She described Metereti as a hardworking man.

"When he regained consciousness, he smiled at me and told me not to cry. He knew he had lost his arm and said he would do his best to earn for his family with his right hand."

Mrs Vakasawaqa said they were aware of the presence of sharks in the waters near the village, however, the only shark attack she could recall was one she said happened 20 years ago.

Senior fisheries officer Northern Gerald Billings said shark attacks were uncommon in the north and he has warned people to take extra care while out to sea.

"Sharks are very territorial in nature and they become vicious if their territory is interfered with. The best advice for people is to be very careful and not to dive in waters which they are unsure of because it can lead to life threatening incidents," Mr Billings said.

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=168992

Return to “2011 Shark Attack and Related Incidents”