"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/18/2015 - Ken Grasing - Hawaii

Shark Attacks as they happen in 2015 Shark Attacks 2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite bites 2015 worldwide shark attack 2015
alb

Re: 03/18/2015 - Ken Grasing - Hawaii

Post by alb »

Shark bite victim describes attack at Hapuna Beach
By Web Staff, khon2. Published: March 20, 2015, 3:31 pm

The man who was bitten by a shark at Hapuna Beach spoke about his experience Friday.

Ken Grasing, 58, of Overland Park, Kansas, was on the Big Island vacationing with his family.

He had been snorkeling Wednesday with his sons, Danny and Mike, and was standing about 100 feet from shore when it happened.

“The water around me was about four or five feet deep and I was looking out to sea, away from shore, and this black cloud appeared and I wasn’t sure what it was. The shape moved towards me quickly and it materialized into a 10-12 foot tiger shark,” he said. “It all happened very rapidly. The shark bit my left hand.”

Grasing spoke from Queen’s Medical Center, where he was flown for treatment for the shark bite, plus a laceration to his thigh.

He said the experience was surreal, and he knew what he had to do to survive.

“I’d heard that you should hit the shark in the face, but it’s very difficult to hit a shark in the face because there’s a lot of teeth there and they’re sharp and it’s moving fast and it’s happening very quickly, but I did hit it on the side of the head,” he recalled. “Fortunately, either it didn’t like what it tasted or it didn’t seem quite right, so I was really at it’s mercy.”

But the shark never returned, nor did it attack any other swimmers.

Hawaii Island police say Grasing was assisted to shore and taken to North Hawaii Community Hospital before being flown to Honolulu. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Grasing says the experience did not ruin his trip or impression of the islands.

“It’s just going to be a bump in the road for me and the excellent team here just sewed up my hand and I think it’s going to be fine,” he said, but admitted, “I don’t know if I’m ever going to snorkel again.”

Hapuna Beach has since been reopened after the incident.

Source: khon2
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

03/18/2015 - Ken Grasing - Hawaii

Post by alb »

Hapuna Beach State Park HONOLULU Hawaii 58 year old shark attack survivor

News Release
Hawaii DLNR (Department of Land and Natural Resources)
18. March 2015

HAPUNA BEACH STATE PARK CLOSED DUE TO SHARK BITE

HONOLULU — The Department of Land and Natural Resources and county lifeguards closed Hapuna Beach State Park today following an incident just before noon, in which a 58 year old male visitor was bit by a shark while snorkeling in the ocean near the south point of the park. He was taken to a local hospital.

It was identified as a 10-12 foot long tiger shark, which was again seen in the bay some time after 1 p.m.

Shark warning signs were posted along Hapuna Beach, including Wailea beach, and as far north as Spencer Beach Park and south to Puako beach. The public is advised to exercise caution if entering the ocean at these areas.

Hapuna Beach State Park will remain closed and warning signs posted until the Hawaii County Fire Department conducts helicopter flyovers tomorrow morning. If a shark is sighted, the park will remain closed. If no shark is sighted during the 11 a.m. flyover, the park will be reopened at noon. An update notice will be issued at that time.

Source: DLNR
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite”