"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

09/22/2007 Unknown Female (Florida)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

09/22/2007 Unknown Female (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Shark bites Huguenot surfer

Woman suffers minor injuries; officials post shark warning flags.

By The Times-Union

A surfer suffered minor injuries Saturday after apparently being bitten by a shark off the coast of Huguenot Park.

A Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department spokesman said the unidentified woman was taken to Shands Jacksonville hospital as a precaution.

A Huguenot Park supervisor said shark sightings aren't uncommon in the deep waters where surfers frequent. Shark warning flags were posted at the park after the bite was reported.

Tia Mitchell

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/s ... 0656.shtml
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Shark Attack Not Stopping Beachgoers
By Kristin Smith
First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- A beautiful day at Huguenot Memorial Park, turned terrifying when a 4-foot shark bit a woman swimming in the water Saturday.

One day later, and people don't seem too concerned about the incident. But some are keeping on guard.

For Damian and his four-legged friend Harley, there's nothing quite like a day at the beach. Mom and Dad bring them every other weekend. But Sunday, they were only allowed to go in ankle-deep.

"We come out here mostly because my husband likes to fish. Him and I go in the water sometimes, but we're staying out of it today," said beachgoer, Stacie Jackson.

A shark attack at Huguenot Memorial Park Saturday has Jackson a little on edge about allowing her son and their dog in further.

The woman bit by the shark is in stable condition.
But plenty of people who went to the beach either didn't know it happened, or they weren't worried enough to stay out.

"I don't think they're worried. I think if they like the water that much they're not going to watch for the signs," said beachgoer, Jessica Allen.

Allen didn't know.

But the thought just happened to cross her mind as she and her son, Kenneth, first walked down to the water's edge.

"I was wondering if there are ever any sharks that come this close to the shore," said Allen.

Every time a shark is spotted, the park puts up a sign letting people know what happened.

But now that Allen knows it wasn't just a spotting, it was an actual attack, she says she'll pay closer attention, but she's not staying out.

"I will definitely continue going in. That wouldn't stop me," said Allen.

And if it happens when Damian and Harley are here, well, Harley knows how fast to run out.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/loca ... ryid=91916
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Woman Bitten By Shark at Huguenot Park
By Ryan Duffy
First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- An otherwise beautiful day at Huguenot Park, with plenty of sun and surf, turned terrifying.

Aaron Abbott realized the woman surfing just a few feet from him was screaming.

"She didn't really freak out very bad until she saw all the blood and there was a lot of blood in the water after it happened," said Abbott.

The woman was bleeding steadily from her foot.

Aaron said he saw what looked like a four foot shark swimming away.

The woman's boyfriend and other people at the beach helped her to shore where they tried to stop the bleeding.

"We were just trying to keep her leg at an angle to keep the blood flow down and someone tied a leash around her leg to try to stop the bleeding," said Abbott.

"I just started talking to her, got dry towels and covered her up with dry towels and tried to calm her down until we could get rescue here," said Cathie Burns.

Surfers say they see sharks all the time at the park but an attack is rare.

Park employees say it hasn't happened in at least six years.

The crowd at the beach didn't seem too worried. They were back in the water just a few minutes later.

"I paddled out as soon as it was done, no, the odds of getting attacked is like being struck by lightning," said Abbott.

The woman hasn't been identified. Jacksonville Fire and Rescue took her to Shands where she is in stable condition.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/news ... ryid=91897

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”