Search called off for suspected shark victim
February 17, 2004 - 9:39AM
Police have called off the search for a spear fisherman believed to have been the victim of a shark attack off Tweed Heads.
Inspector Ian Fitzsimmons of Byron Bay Police said there was little hope of finding alive 31-year-old Mark Bryant from Currumbin Waters on the Gold Coast.
Mr Bryant had been snorkelling with two friends yesterday morning but failed to surface after taking a final dive by himself at Friday Reef, near Cook Island.
"We've issued a local lookout for local marine radio for boaties who might be out in the area to just keep a lookout but at this stage it's gone from a local rescue to a recovery operation," Inspector Fitzsimmons told AAP.
"We are satisfied he has perished."
Police believe Mr Bryant may have been taken by a shark because several large tiger sharks were sighted in the area.
The missing man's spear gun was retrieved with a fish on it leading to speculation the bleeding fish may have attracted a shark.
Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2004.
1 post • Page 1 of 1