"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

08/11/2002 Brad Milliken (Florida)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2002.
sharkbait
Site Admin

08/11/2002 Brad Milliken (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Shark Bites Florida Teen

Surfer Bitten On Ankle

Posted: 9:04 a.m. EDT August 11, 2002 

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- A teenage surfer walked about a half mile to a lifeguard station while bleeding from his foot after he was bitten by a shark, officials said.

Brad Milliken, 15, said he had just caught a wave when he stepped down in water 3 feet deep and felt something grip his ankle.

"It didn't really hurt that much," he told the Vero Beach Press Journal. "It just felt like finger nails digging into my skin. I thought it was (my friend) pulling on my leg."

Milliken, a high school sophomore, was treated and released at Indian River Memorial Hospital after the 3:30 p.m. attack that caused lifeguards to clear the water for the rest of the day. The teen suffered a long cut on his heel and several teeth marks on top of his right foot.

Milliken's friend, Mike Morgan, 18, said he was surfing with Milliken when he spotted a 5 foot nurse shark and n his friend, but he couldn't be heard over the crasves.e was bitten, Milliken hobbled to the tatiohis surfboard.

Lifeguard Capt. Nathan Rieck said the shark bite was the first in Vero Beach in two years. In 2000, an 8-year-old boy suffered minor injuries to his arm and hand when a shark bit him.

Milliken received no stitches but left the hospital on crutches, saying he expects to be surfing again in two weeks.

"There's no question about that," Milliken said.

http://www.local6.com/news/1606499/detail.html

Return to “2002 Reported Shark Bites”