Swimming banned on Dar Es Salaam coast after fatal shark attack
Sunday, September 24, 2000
This is the 5th Fatal attack in Dar Es Sallam.-
An alarm has been raised near the Coco Beach coast area of Dar es Salaam after a shark reportedly ate a university student whose swimming spree in the idyllic Indian Ocean waters went awry.
Godfrey Msemwa, a third year student at the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences was buried at sea Friday. Friends and relatives threw flower wreaths in the ocean in his memory.
Godfrey had been reported missing for a week before relatives came to the sad conclusion. Efforts to retrieve his remains came to naught with some relatives blaming regional police for inaction.
Speaking at the requiem mass, Dar es Salaam Regional Commissioner Yusuf Makamba, said all swimming at the beach had now been banned.
The regional defence and security committee had taken the action due to the spiralling wave of shark attacks on the same beach, Makamba said. Msemwa, 28, is the fifth shark attack victim.
An official of the Japanese International Cooperation Agency sustained injuries on his fingers after a similar attack in 1999 and had to be rushed to South Africa for treatment.
"We have lost five residents this year, and we can not still keep silent, we kindly ask residents of Dar es Salaam to stop frequenting Coco Beach until further notice," Makamba warned.
A recent study indicates that the number of shark attacks on humans has increased with South Africa having the second highest figures after the US.
more to come,,, this week.