"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

10/08/2022 - Luan Nguyen/Boating - Gulf of Mexico

Recent Shark Attacks in 2022 Latest Shark Attacks as they happen in 2022. We also include Shark Attack Related Incidents as they occur in 2022.
alb

Re: 10/08/2022 - Luan Nguyen/ Boating sinking - Gulf of Mexico

Post by alb »

The unidentified men were reported missing Oct. 8 by a family member who reported they had left on their 24-foot center console boat.

The Coast Guard launched spotter planes, boats and helicopters to search for the group.

After searching an area roughly the same size of Rhode Island, the men were located Oct. 9 by helicopter. They had spent more than 24 hours in the water.

The men were finally located the Gulf, 25 miles off Empire, Louisiana, and about 55 miles southeast of New Orleans.

A rescue boat approached and when they arrived on the scene, they “witnessed two boaters fending off sharks, along with injuries to both boater’s hands,” the Coast Guard said in a statement. “Two boaters were pulled from the water by the boat crew before additional injures could occur.”

A rescue chopper pulled the third man from the water and later recovered other two from the rescue boat. Two of the men had shark bites on their hands and one showed signs of hypothermia.

“If the family member had not notified the Coast Guard, and if these three boaters were not wearing life jackets, this could’ve been a completely different outcome,” the Coast Guard said. “We appreciate the assistance of the boating public, who were instrumental in helping identify possible areas where these boaters could have been operating before the vessel became in distress.”
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

10/08/2022 - Luan Nguyen/Boating - Gulf of Mexico

Post by alb »

Trio whose boat sank in Gulf of Mexico rescued from water after fighting off shark

Luan Nguyen and his two friends hoped to do little more this weekend than fish and relax.

But their boat trip on Saturday into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico near south-east Louisiana became much more dramatic when the vessel sank and Nguyen found himself having to fight off a shark, before the US Coast Guard finally rescued them after more than a day.

“I stuck both of my thumbs and jabbed him in the eyes, and it took off,” the 46-year-old Nguyen told New Orleans news station WWL-TV of his encounter with the shark. “Not a good situation.”

Officials confirmed Nguyen’s story. Shark attacks are relatively rare – last year there were fewer than 75 worldwide that were reported as unprovoked, disproportionately in Florida – but can be highly dangerous.

Along with Son Nguyen and Phong Lee, the trio of friends from the New Orleans suburb of Harvey left for their fishing trip from a marina in Empire, roughly 60 miles (97km) south-east of the city, on the hunt for some red snapper to cook up.

About 25 miles out from the shore, the engine began having problems. The group tried to return to the marina but the choppy waters began to swamp the boat.

Eventually it sank, leaving the friends floating in bright orange life vests. Luan Nguyen was clinging to an ice chest to help him stay afloat when a shark swam up and attacked.

“The head part was in front of me, and the shark from just out of nowhere bit the vest,” Nguyen told WWL-TV. “So, I pushed the shark and then I tried to push his nose. That didn’t do anything. So, I stuck both of my thumbs and jabbed him in the eyes, and it took off.”

Coast Guard officials said the men could not call for help because they lacked appropriate emergency communication devices. Instead, a relative notified the agency that something was wrong when the men did not return to the marina as scheduled.

That prompted Coast Guard boat and helicopter crews to search an area about the same size as Rhode Island. They finally spotted Nguyen roughly 28 hours after the boat sank, he said.

Dramatic video and photos captured from aboard the helicopter showed rescuers pulling two of the men out of the water into a boat, then hoisting them up to the helicopter.

The entire group was flown to a hospital in New Orleans. Two received treatment for relatively minor hand wounds. Nguyen said he and his friends were hypothermic from spending so much time in the ocean: water temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico in October are typically around 80F (26.5C), which is cold enough to cause hypothermia after several hours without protective clothing.

Luan Nguyen said although he and his friends will recover physically he isn’t sure if he’ll ever return to open water.

“That’s the gist of it – my offshore fishing career is over,” Nguyen said.

https://www.theguardian.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2022 Latest Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attacks 2022”