"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

05/01/2021 - Donovan Haywood 53yr - Jamaica *** Fatal ***

Recent Shark Attack in 2021 Information on Shark Attacks in 2021 Latest Shark Attacks all here at Shark Attack Survivors
alb

05/01/2021 - Donovan Haywood 53yr - Jamaica *** Fatal ***

Post by alb »

Fisherman dies after shark attack

It took fishermen more than half an hour to free Donovan Haywood from the mouth of a shark that attacked and bit him while he was fishing in the Salmon Point area, located off the coast of Little London in Westmoreland, on Saturday.

Haywood, otherwise called 'Doggie', of Darling Street in Savanna-la-Mar, Westmoreland, died as a result of the injuries. The shark escaped with one of his arms and inflicted several wounds to his upper body.

Clive Campbell, captain of the 18-foot boat on which Haywood and 11 other fishermen set out to sea on Saturday, was almost in tears as he told a most horrific story. He said they were spearfishing in the water when the shark attacked.

"The shark cum up from underneath him and grab on pon him entire left side and have him a flash him all bout inna di water," Campbell said.
Water full a blood

"Every minute the shark go down wid 'Doggie' then him cum back up, all a wi have fi form a circle because the water full a blood an wi don't want him grab nobody else," the fisherman added.

He told THE STAR that one of his brothers used a speargun to shoot di shark, and it was at that point that it released Haywood.

Kemesha Titus, a sister of the deceased, said that Haywood, who is the father of four children, has been a fisherman ever since he was a teenager. She said her brother was an expert at deep sea spearfishing.

Up to now mi caah believe seh shark kill him because him always a tell mi all kind a story bout wen him a shoot fish, and how wen dem si shark dem haffi tek off di fish dem off a di string one by one, and feed the shark until dem reach safety," she said.

"Although all a wi a grieve, wi still glad fi know seh wi get him body fi bury," the sister said.

Chrisona Haywood, the deceased's eldest daughter, is struggling to come to terms with his sudden loss.

"Him tell me before seh 'Daughter, shark attack me nuff time out a sea already, and me affi be skill to get weh from them'. But me really never know say shark would attack in this way now and to see him go like that it really hard," she told THE STAR.

Recalling that her dad last words in a video that was sent to her from the scene were "Me nuh dead man, me a guh be alright."

A video of the fisherman in distress has been making its way around social media. Chrisona says its circulation is adding to the family's pain.

"I would really appreciate if people stop circulating it because I don't want to remember him in that way. I want to close my eyes and see him always referring to me as his daughter, and smiling," she said.

Despite press reports that this
was the first incident of Savanna-la-mar, there have
been others at the same place and throughout
Jamaica. On September 19, 2018, 43-year-old
Nicholas Malcolm of Pineapple, Ocho Rios, St.
Ann Parish, Jamaica, went fishing with a friend off
James Bond Beach and never returned to the meeting place.
A search was started and shark-bitten pieces of his dive gear
was found.

http://jamaica-star.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2021 Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attack in 2021”