"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/26/2015 - Shawn Warrilow - Florida

Shark Attacks as they happen in 2015 Shark Attacks 2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite bites 2015 worldwide shark attack 2015
alb

07/26/2015 - Shawn Warrilow - Florida

Post by alb »

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. —The fifth shark bite victim this year in Volusia County opened up about an attack in the water.

The bite happened in the heart of the Daytona Beach tourist area.

It looked like a lake out in the ocean on Monday, but on Sunday, there was some surf. Shawn Warrilow caught a few good rides just south of the Main Street Pier. He was paddling in for the day just before 7 p.m.

"I was just belly boarding on a whitewash all the way, and all of a sudden, boom, came up and grabbed my foot," Warrilow said.

Warrilow didn't get stitches, but he suffered six lacerations on the bottom of his foot. Warrilow didn't see the shark that grabbed him in about 6 feet of water, but he said he figures it was a 4-foot Spinner or a Blacktip shark, based on the length of the wound.

"Luckily for me, I still have a foot. So I'm pretty thankful for that, you know. Had it been a bull shark or a tiger shark, you know, this wouldn't be the same conversation," Warrilow said.

Warrilow showed off his battle scar after getting out of the ocean. With adrenaline flowing, he was laughing then, but he said it was pretty painful later on. He was treated at the hospital.

"My feet were hanging off the back of the board. I have a short board and from a shark's perspective, it probably looked like a fish trailing in the water," Warrilow explained.

Warrilow made a beeline for the shore. He immediately thought he was another statistic, but his mantra, like other local surfers, is that he is playing in the shark's backyard. This close encounter won't change his pursuit of the waves.

"Would it make you think twice about going in?" WESH 2 News asked.

"Try to keep me out," Warrilow replied.

So far this year, there have been five shark bites in Volusia County and four in Brevard County. Though some of the shark bites have been serious, none have been life-threatening.

Warrilow said he's been told he will probably be off his foot for the next four to five weeks. He said he will follow the doctor's orders, but then, he's going surf again.

http://www.wesh.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite”