"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

01/31/2015 - Trevor Carter - Australia - No Injury

Shark Attacks as they happen in 2015 Shark Attacks 2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite bites 2015 worldwide shark attack 2015
alb

01/31/2015 - Trevor Carter - Australia - No Injury

Post by alb »

Australia Shark Attack - Shark Attacks kayak in the Nerang River at Surfers Paradise.

A bull shark has made a meal of a Surfers Paradise rower’s boat in the Nerang River

Trevor Carter was rowing about 5am when a shark tried to bite his boat under the Chevron Trevor Carter was rowing about 5am when a shark tried to bite his boat under the Chevron Island bridge. Picture Glenn Hampson

Trevor Carter was rowing about 5am when ...Breathtaking footage of bull sharks bein...
WE’RE gonna need a bigger boat!

Or in the case of Trevor Carter, he’s going to have to at least fix the old one after a bull shark attacked his single scull in the Nerang River at Surfers Paradise yesterday.

The 57-year-old had just started his training session about 5am when something aggressively hit his rowing boat from underneath.

Had an encounter of your own? Share your Gold Coast shark story in the comments below:

Confused, he checked the water around him under the eastern Chevron Island bridge but nothing was to be seen.

After a few seconds, there was another “big bang”.

“That’s when I freaked out,” he said.

“I’ve been rowing for more than 15 years so I know what it’s like to hit a floating Esky or chair but this was different.

“The whole boat shook.”

Mr Carter said he started rowing “extremely fast” towards Budds Beach.

“It was very scary,” the Southport resident said.

“You’ve got to remember, it’s dark and I knew there was something with malicious intent in the water.

“I wasn’t going to wait around for an introduction, I was off.”

The close call comes after a 200kg bull shark was caught off Duranbah on Wednesday.

Mr Carter only saw the teeth marks engraved in his carbon fibre hull when he pulled his boat out of the water at Bundall’s Surfers Paradise Rowing Club.

“I picked it up and went ‘f---’,” he said.

“We never want to admit it but we know there are bull sharks in the water.

“I’ll definitely be rowing again but I’ll have to fix my boat first.”

Shark expert Doctor Jonathan Werry, from Griffith University, confirmed the bite marks on Mr Carter’s boat were most likely from a 1.3m young bull shark.

“Murky water, summer time, close to a deep hole are all the reasons to be vigilant and safer not to swim,” he said.

A 3m Bull Shark was caught on Australia Day a couple of miles of Duranbah Beach.

The bull sharks caught in nets and drumlines in Gold Coast waters average just under 2m.

Shark sightings in Gold Coast canals are very common and since 2002 there have been two fatal shark attacks.

Beau Martin, 23, died swimming in Miami Lake in December 2002 when he was attacked by a bull shark.

The following year, 84-year-old Bob Purcell died on his morning swim in Burleigh Lake, also after a bull shark attack.

SHAYA LAUGHLIN GOLD COAST BULLETIN JANUARY 31, 2015 12:00AM 3
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2015 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2015 or Shark Bite”