"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

09/06/2014 - Jamie Robson - Alabama

We list all 2014 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2014 or Attack these include attacks and other shark related incidents for ocean goers safety...
alb

09/06/2014 - Jamie Robson - Alabama

Post by alb »

Fisherman suffers shark attack on Dauphin Island

DAUPHIN ISLAND, Ala. (WALA) – Dauphin Island Police told FOX10 news a 43-year-old man was bitten by a shark Saturday afternoon around 1 p.m. while he was fishing. It happened on the bay side of the Island’s far West End near the “Katrina Cut.”

The victim, Jamie Robson, spoke exclusively to FOX10 News about the scary incident. He said he was standing in the water reeling in a fish when the attack happened.

“He was not coming for me, he was coming for the fish, and unfortunately, I guess I got in the way of the shark,” recalled Robson. “He grabbed a hold of my leg, and at that time, I took my rod, jammed the butt end of my rod into the top of the head of the shark, and he released me.”

Robson was then able to drive his jet ski back to a boat launch where he called police. He was then taken to Springhill Medical Center, and is expected to be okay.

This isn’t the first time Robson has had a run in with dangerous marine life. A few years ago he was stung by a stingray and almost lost his leg – the same one that was bit by the shark Sunday afternoon.

Robson cautions other swimmers and fishermen to take precaution when in the water.

“I’d like to caution people, I don’t think people understand how dangerous a sting from a stingray can be, not to mention how incredibly painful they are,” he said, “so there’s a lot of stuff out there that can hurt people, people need to be smart and know where they’re going, know what’s around them, know how to treat it, and that sort of thing.”

Police also caution folks hitting the beaches.

“The best thing to do, is not go fishing by yourself, have somebody with you, because if this was more severe, he would’ve been in a lot of trouble.”

In the meantime, Robson said from now on, he’ll stick to fishing inside the boat instead of in the water.

http://fox10tv.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2014 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2014 or Attack”