"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

09/02/2013 - Raushod Floyd - Florida

Recent Shark Attacks in 2013 and 2013 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents
alb

Re: 09/02/2013 - Raushod Floyd - Florida

Post by alb »

Seabreeze High School football player bitten by shark in Ormond Beach

A 17-year-old Seabreeze High School football player was bitten by a shark Monday afternoon as he and teammates cooled off after practice in the surf, his coach said.

Raushod Floyd, a starting wide receiver for the Seabreeze Sandcrabs, suffered several lacerations on his right shoulder in the attack, coach Marc Beach and witnesses said. The attack happened about 1 p.m. near the Seminole Avenue beach approach in Ormond Beach, according to Capt. Mike Berard of Volusia County Beach Safety Ocean Rescue.

Floyd was in waist-deep water, bent down to touch the bottom and felt a bump on his shoulder, Berard said.

Raushod said the shark bite felt like a punch in the throat.

“When he hit me I was under the water. I got up, looked down and just saw blood rushing down my arm,” Floyd said. “It just felt like I got punched in the throat.”

Floyd said it took him a while to realize a shark had just torn some flesh off his right shoulder.

“At first I looked up and I was laughing. But then I looked at my shoulder, and I was just like, 'I just got bit by a shark,' ” Floyd said.

Another player on the team, J.T. Davis, said the shark was about 2 feet long and he and his friends saw it bite Floyd.

“When you see it, you are nervous. You just hope that he did not get tore up worse than he was. I'm just glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been, and I know when he comes back he will be better,” Davis said.

Although the wounds were not considered life-threatening, Beach Safety “asked EVAC to transport him to the hospital because his parents were not present,” Berard said.

Floyd had gone to the beach with teammates from the Daytona Beach high school after a 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. practice, coach Beach said.

Beach said he was told Floyd got 30 to 40 stitches at Halifax Health Medical Center.

“I was worried when I heard it was a shark bite,” Beach said.

“He was fortunate. It could have been a lot worse.”

The shark bite will keep Floyd off the field for a couple weeks but he is expected to return and do fine, Beach said.

Davis said the experience was like something out of a movie.

“Only in the movies do you see that,” Davis said.

“We all saw the shark. It wasn't that big. Not a big, big shark. But it was a 'Wow' moment.”

Floyd said doctors told him he will have wait seven days before the stitches are taken out and that means he will miss Friday's game against Flagler Palm Coast.

“When I first got out of the water, I was calmed. But when I got home (and thought about having to miss games) I started to cry,” Floyd said.

Floyd, a junior, has played for the Sandcrabs for three years and been a starter for the team since ninth grade.

The shark bite, which Beach Safety officials say is the fourth reported this year along the Volusia County coast, got Floyd a new nickname, Beach said.

“He is a good kid. He is a great kid,” Beach said. “This has earned him a new nickname, 'Shark bite.' ”

Source: news-journalonline
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

09/02/2013 - Raushod Floyd - Florida

Post by alb »

Shark attacks teen off Ormond Beach

ORMOND BEACH, Florida - A 17-year-old boy was attacked by a shark Monday afternoon in the waters off Ormond Beach, Volusia County officials said.

The teen was bitten on his shoulder and taken to a hospital after the attack, which occurred around 12:30 p.m. near the intersection of State Road A1A and Granada.

The boy's condition was not immediately known.

No other details have been released.

Central Florida beaches were expected to be crowded Monday for the Labor Day holiday.

Source: wtsp
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2013 Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attacks 2013”