"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

12/31/2012 - Male - Florida

Recent 2012 Shark Attacks and 2012 Shark Attack Related Incidents
alb

12/31/2012 - Male - Florida

Post by alb »

No swimming allowed on portion of Jensen Beach Public Beach after swimmer bitten by shark

No swimming is being allowed at the life guarded portion of Jensen Beach Public Beach Monday afternoon after a swimmer was bitten by a shark.

Lifeguards were flying the double red flags, meaning no swimming. A swimmer was bitten on the lower leg or ankle area by a shark, officials said. The bite was minor and not life threatening, officials said.

Previous reports of shark bites in the Treasure Coast area were in May and September.

On May 9, a woman from Germany was bitten in the thigh, while in waist deep water north of Humiston Park, according to fire rescue officials.

Karin Ulrike Stei, 47, of Konstanz, Germany, had surgery to repair a section of her upper thigh, which had been bitten to the bone, lifeguards said.

According to police, Karin Stei and friend Brigitte Schmid were swimming in waist-deep water when the incident occurred. Stei was approximately 30 yards from the shore and Schmid was approximately 20 to 25 yards from the shore when Stei was bitten.

On June 26, near Jupiter, 6-year-old Nickolaus Bieber was bitten in the thigh by a shark. The bite happened just north of the Juno Beach Pier near the Marcinski Park area, Jupiter Police Department spokesperson Scott Pascarella said.

Pascarella said the boy was at the beach with his father. Hospital officials believe the bite came from a bull shark.

On Sept. 25, Brandon Murray, 22, was surfing off Spanish House point, north of Sebastian Inlet State Park. As he was about to take his last wave into shore, a 4-foot shark came out of the water with its mouth wide open. "Right when I turned around the shark just jumped out of the water and spun and just grabbed my foot," said Murray.

The shark's teeth caught Murray's left foot. His 'pinky' toe was left hanging on by a thread. "Looks like razor blades from the bottom and in between my toes and all out," he said.

On Sept. 26, also north of the inlet park, Brandon Taylor never saw a shark; he only felt it clamping down on his left arm.

"Out of no where, just under my board, just a lot of pressure," he said. "It was immediate. I know exactly what happened. I felt the pain," said Taylor.

https://news.google.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2012 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents”