08/28/2012 Jon Hines - Australia

Recent 2012 Shark Attacks and 2012 Shark Attack Related Incidents

08/28/2012 Jon Hines - Australia

Postby alb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:45 am

Man survives shark attack at remote Carnarvon location

A MAN has survived a terrifying shark attack near the popular surf break of Red Bluff, about 150km north of Carnarvon in WA's Gascoyne region, this afternoon.

The man, believed to be a 34-year-old, had been surfing at the remote location when the predator struck about 3.25pm. An emergency call was made to the Water Police about four minutes later.

Initial reports from police suggested the man had sustained leg and abdominal injuries but was conscious.

However, it has now emerged that the surfer was bitten on the abdomen and suffered serious wounds to his right arm as he tried to fend off the shark.

He was taken to Carnarvon Hospital where he underwent preliminary medical assessment.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service will ferry the man to Perth tonight. He is expected to land at Jandakot Airport at 11pm and will be taken to Royal Perth Hospital for further medical treatment.

One eye-witness told ABC Radio that her children had helped carry the injured man from the water in the wake of the attack, but no one in the ocean appeared to have seen the incident unfold.

"The water was full of blood, that's about it,'' the woman told the ABC.

"He was conscious the whole way back though, he was OK. He was in good spirits, as well as he could be.''

Department of Fisheries regional manager Tony Cappelluti said while the man's injuries were serious, they did not appear to be life-threatening.

"The surfer was attacked by the shark, was bitten on the abdomen somewhere, tried to fend off the shark. The shark has then bitten him on the arm and he's got some fairly serious arm injuries,'' Mr Cappelluti said.

The species of the shark has not been confirmed by fisheries experts.

Mr Cappelluti said there had been no recent shark sighting reports at Red Bluff, an extremely remote area of the WA coastline that was well frequented by surfers.

"It's a popular surf area, huge waves and a very, very prestine area.''

"We are not aware of any reports of shark sightings in the area. It's a fairly remote location, frequented by surfers all year round. It's quite isolated, very pristine.''

In July, Ben Linden, 24, became WA’s fifth fatal shark attack victim in just 10 months when he was attacked at Wedge Island, north of Perth.

A talented musician and cabinetmaker by trade, he was taken by a 4m white pointer about 9am on July 14.

In April 2011, a teenager was bitten after trying to feed a one metre reef shark with the carcass of a fish he had just cleaned on a beach near Red Bluff, about 140km north of Carnarvon.

The teen spent the night at a local hospital but was later flown to Perth for specialist treatment.

If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 08/28/2012 Male - Australia

Postby alb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am

The scene of a shark attack near Carnarvon today which left a man with leg and abdominal injuries. PerthNow
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 08/28/2012 Jon Hines - Australia

Postby alb » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 am

'He was just holding his stomach in'

Shark attack victim Jon Hines and wife Bridget on their wedding day.

Despite blood gushing from a savage bite wound to his stomach, Dudley surfer Jon Hines continued the fight of his life as a shark which had already attacked him at a remote Western Australian beach came in for another blow.

The 34-year-old repeatedly punched and scratched at the shark's eyes, suffering severe wounds to his right arm but possibly giving him the upper hand in his battle for survival.

It appeared last night that surgeons had saved Mr Hines's arm after more than seven hours in the Royal Perth Hospital's operating theatre, although it was still unclear how much movement he would regain.

Shark attack victim Jon Hines arriving at Jandakot Airport on Tuesday night. Photo: Channel Ten

''At least he is OK, they think he will get most of the movement back and his stomach will heal over time – he has definitely dodged a bullet,'' close family friend, Newcastle businessman Jeff McCloy said last night.


Mr Hines, a civil engineer with Newcastle firm Graph Building, was joined at his bedside by wife Bridget, parents Paul and Sue and brother Nathan.

Nathan Hines was with his brother at Red Bluff, an iconic surfing spot about 960kilometres north of Perth, when the shark struck on Tuesday afternoon.

It was unclear last night what species of shark was responsible for the attack.

Details emerged yesterday of the heroics of local surfing legend Geoff Goulden, better known as ''Camel'', who came to Mr Hines's aid despite the massive amount of blood in the water and the shark still nearby.

But once ashore, Mr Hines had another battle on his hands - getting to medical aid before he bled to death.

Nathan Hines and another mate, who had been with the contingent of Novocastrians who holidaying at the remote beach, were able to get him into a private car and start the 160km trip to the nearest hospital in Carnarvon.

''One of them had hold of the tourniquet on his arm and the other was holding his stomach in,'' Mr McCloy said.

''They have done a great job.''

They met an ambulance halfway along the dirt and badly corrugated road, before Mr Hines was taken to Carnarvon and later flown to Perth.

Mr Hines's father, Paul Hines, is a solicitor who has worked with Mr McCloy's development companies for 25 years.

''He is a fantastic young man, a credit to himself and his family,'' Mr McCloy said.

''And he's tough, he will get through this.''

Mr Hines grew up in Dudley and has been a well-known member of the Dudley Boardriders since he was young.

He studied engineering at University of Newcastle and worked in Newcastle and interstate, including Western Australia, before returning several years ago and marrying Bridget.

He had travelled to Western Australia for a surfing holiday with a few mates and was due to return to the east coast this week to attend a mate's wedding.

In a bizarre coincidence, the Hines couple live less than 100 metres from Glen ''Lenny'' Folkard, the surfer who survived being attacked by a bull shark at Redhead Beach eight months ago.

''If he needs help getting over this, I will help him out for sure,'' Mr Folkard said.

''It really knocked me around when I heard it last night, I hope he recovers.''

Locals said shark sightings were not uncommon along that stretch of coastline, including a four-metre great white shark seen at a nearby reef a week ago.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Return to 2012 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents