"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

06/18/2012 Brooklyn Daniel - North Carolina

Recent 2012 Shark Attacks and 2012 Shark Attack Related Incidents
alb

Re: 06/18/2012 Brooklyn Daniel - North Carolina

Post by alb »

Shelby girl OK after shark bite, 140 stitches

OCEAN ISLE, N.C. -- A 6-year-old Shelby girl is doing well after a shark attack Monday morning that left her with 140 stitches.

Ocean Isle, N.C., Mayor Debbie Smith said Brooklyn Daniel was released from the hospital later that day.

"Her mother (Audrea NiKohl Daniel) saw the shark and tried to get her out of the water," Smith said. "They were both in there together."

Smith said Brooklyn was bitten on the left leg. The pair were near an inlet at the end of the island in shallow water.

"But they got her out of the water and called 9-1-1," Smith said. "She is definitely one brave, little girl."

On Tuesday, the mayor made a visit to the family's beach house.

"She seemed fine," Smith said. "Her and her mother and uncle were out by the pool. She wasn't in the water, but she had her feet in. She's just trying to enjoy the rest of her vacation. She's a very pleasant, little girl."

Smith said the family has extended family who live in Ocean Isle, a town that runs a quarter of a mile wide and only seven miles long. The area is a popular vacation site.

"In the summertime, our little town swells to about 25,000 people," Smith said.

Mike Baker, of Mansfield, said his family has vacationed in North Carolina every other year for the last 14 years.

"A few years ago we saw that a 6-to-7-foot shark had washed up on the beach," he said. "(It's) a bit frightening because you know they are out there. I don't know if there are a lot of sharks around the North Carolina waters, but I know there are some."

Baker said when entering the ocean, he pays attention to the people and the lifeguards.

"They're pretty attentive to what's going on in the ocean. They'll watch and stand up with their binoculars. You just pay attention to their reactions," Baker said. "Praying for a quick recovery physically and emotionally for this young girl."

Smith called the attack "one in a million."

"I've been on this island all my life and only experienced this one shark bite episode," she said. "There aren't a lot of shark bites anywhere. I read somewhere that there were only 75 shark bites in the entire United States last year. But you just always need to be cautious in the water. You can never predict what will happen."

Smith said no one else saw the shark and authorities aren't clear what type of shark attacked Daniel.

"We're just sorry that it happened and wish her all the best," Smith said.

Craig Eshelman said his sister's boyfriend is Marshal Daniel, Audrea's brother.

"When Carter called home and said Brooklyn got bit by a shark we said, 'Really, Carter?' "Eshelman said. "They've only been there a couple of days and usually go every year. It was just hard to believe."

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
helmi

06/18/2012 Brooklyn Daniel - North Carolina

Post by helmi »

Shark bites child at Ocean Isle Beach

Submitted by Marissa Jasek on Mon, 06/18/2012 - 11:46pm.

OCEAN ISLE BEACH, NC (WWAY) -- A girl is recovering after apparently being bitten by a shark off of Ocean Isle Beach this morning.

Emergency crews were called out around 11:30 a.m. Mayor Debbie Smith says the six-year-old girl was in shallow water when it happened.

"Be careful, be aware but this is not something that happens regularly at all," Smith said.

Smith says the call came from around Fayetteville Street at the east end of Ocean Isle Beach. Rescue workers told her the six-year-old girl had a few puncture wounds on her leg. They also said the girl's mother reported seeing a shark following a school of fish in the area.

"We're continuing to monitor the shore today and warning people in that area, but we have not heard of any other reports or any sightings or incidents," Smith said.

Smith says she can't remember the last time there was a shark bite, but still warns swimmers to be cautious in the water.

"It's going to happen when you're at the beach," tourist Duran Link said. "You know, you can't get by it, but you can't be worried about it every time you go in the water or the beach wouldn't be any fun."

Tourists say they plan to be a little more watchful at the beach, but they don't seem too concerned by what happened.

"I'm not too worried about it," tourist Susan Lieving said. "I think they're more scared of me than I am of them."

"You just hope it doesn't happen to you," Link said. "You just enjoy the beach and you know, swim with a lot of people. You know, it's kind of like the bear theory: You've got to be faster than the slowest person with you."

Mayor Smith says the town has had extra beach patrols all day on the east end of the island. They continue to warn swimmers about what happened.

Source: wwaytv3.com

Return to “2012 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents”