06/14/2012 Jordon Garosalo - South Carolina #1

Recent 2012 Shark Attacks and 2012 Shark Attack Related Incidents
helmi

Re: 06/15/2012 Four People Bitten - South Carolina

Post by helmi »

Police confirm shark bites
by Ryan Naquin
Updated: 06.15.2012 at 5:35 PM

MYRTLE BEACH -- Myrtle Beach Beach Patrol Sergeant Phillip Cain confirms that four people swimming in the ocean Thursday were bitten by sharks .
"We have no confirmation on the species," said Cain. "But all four have the characteristics of a shark bite and not another marine animal bite."
Cain said pictures of the injuries have been sent to the University of Florida to try and find out what type of shark is responsible.
"We may never be a hundred percent sure what kind of shark it was," said Cain.
Tourist Karen Minton was the first to help one of the victims on Thursday. She was on the beach when an 18-year-old girl came out of the water screaming and with bites on her hand and feet.
"I asked her if she was sure it was a shark," said Minton. "She said 'yes, I tried to pry it off my foot with my hands and that's when it bit my hand'."
Minton said the girls injuries left a puddle of blood in the sand, and she believes the incidents are still on beachgoers' minds.
"There is a lot less people in the water than there was yesterday," she said.
Source: carolinalive.com
helmi

06/14/2012 Jordon Garosalo - South Carolina #1

Post by helmi »

Beaches reopen following 4 likely shark bites

Updated: Jun 15, 2012 12:59 AM

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) Police and beach patrol crews in Myrtle Beach are on alert after four people were bitten by what may have been a shark between 72nd and 82nd Avenue North.
The dispatch website for Myrtle Beach Police says the call about a possible animal bite came in around 1:20 p.m.
Captain David Knipes, spokesman for the Myrtle Beach Police Department, tells WMBF News that four individuals were bitten in the ocean.
Knipes say they are possible shark bites, but they cannot know for sure until it is confirmed by a doctor or shark expert.
The victims were in the water at 74th Avenue, 77th Avenue, 79nd Avenue and 82nd Avenue North when they were bitten.
Knipes says three of the victims have been transported by EMS to the hospital and the fourth was driven in a personal vehicle. Their condition is unknown at this time.
Family and friends of the victim from 77nd Avenue North identify him as 16-year-old Jordon Garosalo from Canton, Ohio. They tell our news crew on the scene that Garosalo was bitten on the foot.
They later told WMBF News Reporter Ashley Taylor that their doctor believes that, based on the tooth pattern, his wound was inflicted by a shark.
Portions of the beach between 62nd and 82nd Avenue were closed to swimmers for over an hour, and the beaches are now reopen.
Get the latest updates on WMBFNews.com, and on WMBF News at 11.
Source: wmbfnews.com

Return to “2012 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents”