01/15/2012 Lungisani Msunguba - South Africa - *** Fatal ***

Recent 2012 Shark Attacks and 2012 Shark Attack Related Incidents

01/15/2012 Lungisani Msunguba - South Africa - *** Fatal ***

Postby alb » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Shark kills swimmer on 'world's most dangerous beach'

A bather has been killed in the sixth shark attack in six years on a South African beach named as the world's deadliest because of the high death toll caused by the ocean predators.

The 25-year-old man, who has not yet been named, was attacked yesterday afternoon while wading waist-deep off Second Beach in Port St John's, in the Eastern Cape province.


As he swam with friends, the shark struck, virtually severing one arm and causing deep wounds to his chest and stomach. He was pulled to shore by lifeguards but died at the scene.


The attack came on the same day a year after surfer Zama Ndamase, 18, was fatally mauled by a shark as he waited for a wave.


There have now been six fatal shark attacks in six years at Second Beach, on South Africa's southeastern coast, making it the most dangerous in the world for such incidents.


The average fatality rate for shark attacks in South Africa is one in five but in Port St Johns, every single shark attack has resulted in death.

Worldwide, no single other state or country has notched up the same number of deadly shark attacks since 2007 as Second Beach.

Most of the attacks have been carried out by Zambezi or bull sharks, also known as the "pitbulls of the ocean" for their habit of biting and shaking to cause catastrophic injuries.

Locals believe that the sharks are made particularly aggressive either by pollution flooding into the sea from the Umzimvubu River, or because local sangomas – or witchdoctors – sacrifice animals on the beach and throw their entrails into the sea.

Eyewitness Cebo Mafuna was bodysurfing close to the shore when he saw the shark approach the latest victim.

"I was five metres away when I saw the fin," he said. "It was about a foot high but it didn't look like a big shark.

"When it came up out of the water, I saw it open its mouth and saw its teeth. It turned the guy on his side and went for him. He tried to fight it off with his arm but it kept attacking."

He said the lifeguards seemed reluctant to enter the water at first – they have been among previous targets of the attacks – then one waded out and pushed his surfboard out to the victim.

"The water was red all around him," he said. "They pulled him onto the board then used it as a stretcher to bring him to shore but you could tell he wasn't going to make it. The shark had bitten his shoulder and chest down his arm to his elbow."

Captain Mduduzi Godwana, a local police officer, said the man was from nearby Tombo village.

"The 25-year-old man was taken by a shark as he swam with some friends at 3.40pm," he said. "The shark bit off his arm and tore out his stomach. He died instantly."

Michael Gatcke, who runs a guesthouse above the beach, said the community was remembering Zama Ndamase, whom he had taught to surf, a year on from his death when they heard there had been another attack.

"It was a lovely day and we saw a whole load of people swimming and then all of a sudden there was no one," he said. "We rang a lifeguard we know who told us that there had been another attack. I can't believe it's happened again."


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/general-contact-us/survivor-contact-survivors-only
alb
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 01/15/2012 Lungisani Msungubali ( South Africa ) *** Fat

Postby alb » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Shark attack: Water very warm, murky
2012-01-15 23:02

Cape Town - The NSRI says the man who died after being attacked by a shark at Port St Johns' Second Beach was not surfing, but swimming in the very warm water. Visibility was also poor.

John Costello, the NSRI's Port St Johns station commander, said when volunteer sea rescue duty crew reached Second Beach, on-scene lifeguards, Eastern Cape health officials and paramedics were trying to save a 25-year-old man's life.

Costello said the man, from Tombo, had been bitten numerous times while he was swimming in waist-deep water among a crowd of bathers.

"He had sustained multiple traumatic lacerations to his torso, arms and legs.

"A surfer, and other bathers, managed to rescue the man from the sea and lifeguards on duty at the beach and a doctor who happened to be there, began treatment before paramedics arrived," Costello said.

"They continued with treatment while transporting the man to a local clinic in a critical condition.

"At the clinic, medical staff declared the man dead after all efforts to save him had been exhausted," Costello added.

"The Natal Sharks Board is currently carrying out studies in an effort to find out why there has been such a spate of shark attacks near Port St Johns."

http://www.news24.com/
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/general-contact-us/survivor-contact-survivors-only
alb
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 01/15/2012 Lungisani Msungubali ( South Africa ) *** Fat

Postby alb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Surfer bitten to death by a shark at South African beach dubbed 'the world's deadliest 'Sixth fatal attack at Eastern Cape beach in five years

A surfer has been killed by a shark at a South African beach dubbed the world's deadliest following a string of attacks.

Ngidi Msungubana, 25, died yesterday after being repeatedly bitten as he rode the waves off Second Beach in Port St Johns.

Witnesses said he had wrestled with the shark for five minutes as the water turned red around him.

Rescuers try to save shark attack victim Ngidi Msungubana following an attack at Second Beach in Port St Johns in South Africa

The beach is branded the world's most deadliest following six fatal shark attacks since 2007

The incident was the sixth fatal shark attack in just five years at the beach, which lies beside the Indian Ocean in South Africa's rural Eastern Cape province.

Officials described how Mr Msungubana fought with the shark before being dragged bleeding out of the water by a lifeguard.

Provincial health spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said: 'The man was surfing and was in water which was only around a metre and a half deep when the shark struck.

'Witnesses who were near him at the time said he wrestled with the shark for around five minutes as the water turned red.

'A fellow surfer then helped a lifeguard to get the man out of the sea and onto the beach.

'There happened to be a doctor on the beach who helped to treat the man at the scene, and an ambulance then arrived to take him to hospital.

'However the surfer had been bitten on both of his arms and his stomach and he sadly died on the way to the medical facility.'

Experts said it was believed Mr Msungubana was attacked by a bull shark, which hunt alone and are famously aggressive.

Officials said it was the sixth fatal shark attack at Port St Johns' Second Beach since 2007.

Local guesthouse owner and surfing expert Michael Gatcke said a team of specialists had been brought in to study the issue amid the spate of attacks.

He said: 'This is now the sixth attack here in the last five years and people are getting worried about their safety in the sea.

'I can remember the previous attacks clearly - a lifeguard died in 2007 and there were three attacks in 2009.

'There was a fatal attack on a surfer on January 15, 2011, and then this one, exactly a year later.'

He added: 'Experts are now saying this is the world's most dangerous beach for shark attacks and I can believe it.

'The frightening thing is that when you look at the statistics for attacks worldwide, usually only around one in six shark attacks in fatal.

'But here all of the attacks in the last five years have resulted in death.

'It makes you wonder whether the sharks are particularly aggressive, or whether there is some other factor that is causing this problem.

'Whatever the reason, I no longer surf or go into the water.

'I think the local authorities need to do more to tackle the problem and warn people about the dangers.'

Officials today issued a fresh safety warning for bathers at the popular beach, which lies along a stretch of largely undeveloped coastline known as the Wild Coast.

Meanwhile public safety chiefs have launched a probe into what caused the spate of attacks.

Mr Kupelo said one theory was that the sharks were attracted to the area to feed on the remains of animals slaughtered during traditional sacrifices.

He said: 'The local community continues in its tradition of slaughtering animals to mark auspicious occasions and for cultural events.

'Sometimes this is done by members of the church or community leaders on the beach or in the river which leads to the sea.

'It is now being thought that perhaps the offal and remains of the animals are attracting the sharks, which are coming in from the deep to feed.

'The latest attack is definitely not the first and we need to examine why this area is becoming so dangerous.

'Perhaps if the link to the traditional ceremonies is proven then the local municipality will need to take steps to prevent this practice.'

Yesterday's death is the latest shark attack in South Africa.

Last September Briton Michael Cohen, 47, lost his right leg and part of his left foot after being savaged by one of the beasts in the sea near Cape Town.


Read more: dailymail.co.uk
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/general-contact-us/survivor-contact-survivors-only
alb
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 01/15/2012 Lungisani Msungubali ( South Africa ) *** Fat

Postby alb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 pm

01-15-2012-south-africa1.JPG
01-15-2012-south-africa1.JPG (45.86 KiB) Viewed 19477 times


01-15-2012-south-africa2.JPG
01-15-2012-south-africa2.JPG (24.93 KiB) Viewed 19477 times


01-15-2012-south-africa3.JPG
01-15-2012-south-africa3.JPG (32.73 KiB) Viewed 19477 times


01-15-2012-south-africa4.JPG
01-15-2012-south-africa4.JPG (37.71 KiB) Viewed 19477 times
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/general-contact-us/survivor-contact-survivors-only
alb
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 01/15/2012 Lungisani Msunguba ( South Africa ) *** Fatal

Postby alb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Shark attack beach closed

South African authorities have indefinitely shut down the world's most dangerous beach for shark attacks after naming a man who was fatally mauled

Lungisani Msungubana, 25, died while swimming off the notorious strip on Sunday afternoon while swimming with a group of friends in shallow water in Second Beach in Port St Johns, a town on the country's southeastern coast, when the attack took place.

John Costello, local station commander for the National Sea Rescue Institute, said he sustained "multiple traumatic lacerations to his torso, arms and legs" where the shark bit him repeatedly.

His death marks the sixth in just over five years at the beach, making it the most dangerous in the world for fatal shark attacks. In South Africa, one in five attacks by the ocean predators ends in the death but every single attack at Second Beach has proved fatal.

Zambezi or bull sharks, known as the "pitbulls of the ocean" for their ferocity, have been blamed for most of the incidents. Experts from the nearby Natal Sharks Board have been brought in to investigate the phenomenon and the town authorities have closed the beach to swimmers.


Pictures taken on Sunday show lifeguards wading nervously into the sea to pull the badly-injured Mr Msungubana to safety. They placed him on a surfboard to bring him to shore where, Mr Costello said, he was treated by a doctor who had been on the beach before paramedics arrived.


"At the clinic medical staff declared the man dead after all efforts to save him had been exhausted," he added.

Witnesses told how they watched in horror as the shark approached Mr Msungubana who, perhaps mindful of the risk, was only waist-deep in the water.

Eyewitness Cebo Mafuna told that he was bodysurfing close to the shore when he saw the creature's fin.

"It was about a foot high but it didn't look like a big shark," he said.

"When it came up out of the water, I saw it open its mouth and saw its teeth. It turned the guy on his side and went for him. He tried to fight it off with his arm but it kept attacking."

Provincial health spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said "brave" Mr Msungubana fought with the shark for a "good five minutes".

"His injuries were severe, but while he was fighting for his life, he was shouting for others to get out of the water," he added.

Nonceba Madikizela, a spokesman for Port St Johns municipality, said it had decided to close the beach to swimmers until the Natal Sharks Board completes its investigation - said to be in August.

"We were constantly putting warning signs on the beach about the high number of shark attacks but people were vandalising them and removing them," she said.

"Lifeguards have now been instructed not to allow anyone in to the water and police will be monitoring the beach to ensure people comply.

"We understand that we will lose some revenue from the tourists that come down but we believe that the safety of people is more important than any revenue."


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/general-contact-us/survivor-contact-survivors-only
alb
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm


Return to 2012 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents



cron