08/15/2011 Ian Redmond ( Seychelles ) *** Fatal ***

Shark Attack Related Incident News Archive for 2011 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents.

08/15/2011 Ian Redmond ( Seychelles ) *** Fatal ***

Postby alb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Shark kills honeymooner: Bride's horror as she sees Briton savaged off Seychelles beach
By Lydia Warren and Tim Ecott

A British honeymooner was killed by a shark in the Seychelles today, as his bride watched in horror from the beach.

The 30-year-old man, who had been snorkelling 20 yards off shore, suffered appalling injuries to his leg and arm in the second fatal attack in the area in two weeks.

The tragedy unfolded in Anse Lazio on the island of Praslin, regarded as one of the world’s most beautiful beaches and a favourite honeymoon destination for thousands of Britons every year.
Honeymoon destination: The British honeymooner was snorkelling 20 yards off shore at Anse Lazio beach (pictured), off the island of Praslin in the
The victim’s 27-year-old wife was sun-bathing when his cries for help echoed across the shore.

Within moments a holidaymaker in a dinghy had dragged him on board and brought him ashore, where onlookers battled in vain to save him.
‘We heard screaming and people started running down the beach towards the water,’ one American tourist said.
More...Man survives shock attack by eight-foot bull shark on family fishing trip

‘Someone had seen a fin sticking out of the water, and then we saw a dinghy pulling a man from the water.
‘I saw the swimmer, who was missing a huge chunk of flesh from his left leg, so much so that I could see the bone of his thigh. He was sickeningly pale, but still had his flippers on both feet.

‘At this point a woman ran over and started screaming. She said: “That’s my husband! We were just married”.

Savaged: It is not known yet what type of shark attacked the 30-year-old honeymooner yet, but it could possibly have been a great white (library image pictured)
‘Someone grabbed her and tried to keep her away. People all over the beach were just hugging whoever was close to them or trying to keep any children from witnessing what was going on.’

The man, who is thought to have died moments after the attack, was taken away by ambulance 20 minutes after being brought to shore.

It is believed another holidaymaker who was a doctor tried to administer first aid.

The eye witness continued: ‘The damage was too great. We kept his wife away from the body because it was too horrific for her to see.’

Chantal Andre, who works at Anse Lazio’s beach restaurant, also saw the attack.

‘I went to the hospital with the man’s wife and it was just awful,’ she said.

‘She wasn’t crying at all, she just couldn’t believe he was dead. I suppose she was in total shock.’
The Seychelles: Praslin Island is one of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean that make up the Seychelles
It is understood that the bride’s parents are on their way to the Seychelles to comfort her.

Today the authorities closed many of the beaches and snorkelling spots close to Praslin, one of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean that make up the Seychelles.

And questions were asked about what action was taken following the first fatal attack on a diver just two weeks ago.

Alain St. Ange, director for tourism, said: ‘We are taking this very seriously. If there is a rogue shark out there we will try to catch it.

‘We have requested shark experts from South Africa to come over to Seychelles to help us identify the type of shark it could be – but this kind of thing has never ever happened in Seychelles before.’

Seychelles minister for home affairs and environment Joel Morgan held an emergency meeting in the capital Victoria last night to discuss what could be done to protect visitors and locals from a shark that some believe may not be native to Seychelles waters.

The most common species around the islands is the whale shark, which only feeds on plankton and microscopic plants.
Paradise: Around 19,000 British tourists travel to the exotic Indian Ocean islands of Seychelles each year
Two weeks ago a French tourist was killed by a shark off the same beach – the first attack since a fisherman died after being bitten in 1963.

Nicolas Virolle, 36, was deep-sea diving when he was savaged.

At the time, police spokesman Jean Toussaint said: ‘Other tourists on the beach tried to help him, but he died as his injuries were serious. The injuries looked like a shark bite.’

Around 19,000 British tourists travel to the exotic Indian Ocean islands of Seychelles each year.

This year they included the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge who spent ten days there on a private island after their wedding.

A spokesman for the UK Foreign Office said: ‘We are aware of the incident and are providing full consular assistance to the family.’

The British High Commissioner Matthew Forbes flew from the main island of Mahe to Praslin last night to offer help to the widow of the British shark attack victim.

Speaking from La Reserve hotel, where the honeymooners had been staying, he said he could not release the name or family details of the victim until family in the UK had been informed.

If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 08/15/2011 Ian Redmond ( Seychelles ) *** Fatal ***

Postby alb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Emergency meeting held to address freak shark accident in Praslin

The Seychelles Minister for Home Affairs, Environment, Transport & Energy, Mr. Joel Morgan, chaired an emergency meeting last night in his office to consider the unfortunate freak shark accident off the island of Praslin, which has resulted in the following Maritime Safety Advisory to be issued.

The meeting expressed their sympathy to the families of the two visitors who had lost their lives following the freak shark attack off Anse Lazio beach at Praslin. The beach, considered as one of the best beaches in the world, had the unfortunate mishap of being visited by a shark, which has resulted in two accidents virtually unheard of previously in Seychelles.

"With immediate effect, the Seychelles Maritime Safety Administration has issued a temporary ban on swimming or entering the water in certain bays of the island of Praslin and islands off the coast of Praslin following two fatal shark attacks this month in the northwest area of the island.

People should not swim or enter the water in the following areas:

1. Anse Lazio - patrolled by the Police and National Parks Authority
2. Anse Georgette, Petite Anse Kerlan, and Grand Anse Kerlan - patrolled by Lemuria Resort
3. St. Pierre island - patrolled by National Parks Authority
4. Curieuse island - patrolled by National Parks Authority

This measure will be enforced for a certain period in order to search for the shark and remove it from the water.

For all other areas of Praslin and La Digue, people should swim close to the beach, within a short distance, and not in deep water.

The Seychelles National Parks Authority in collaboration with the Praslin Development Fund, Seychelles Coat Guard, the Police, the Department of Environment, and the Seychelles Fishing Authority, as well as several private boat owners and Seychellois fishermen will be undertaking continuous patrols, research, and fishing activities in order to capture the shark.

The Maritime Safety Administration will also reinforce the ban of dumping of waste from yachts and other boats, which have been reported in some of these areas.

The last recorded fatal shark attack in Seychelles waters was in 1963, and, therefore, the two attacks are considered as extremely unusual events.


For shark sightings on Praslin, please contact the Seychelles National Parks Authority Research Manager Mr. Rodney Quatre on 2726104.

For media information, contact Police Press Officer Mr. Jean Toussaint on 2722352.

Source: Seychelles Tourism Board
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 08/15/2011 Ian Redmond ( Seychelles ) *** Fatal ***

Postby alb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Seychelles shark attack: widow describes 'awful scream'

Gemma Redmond remembers her last moments with her husband on honeymoon, following him being mauled by a shark

Seychelles shark attack victim Ian Redmond with his new wife Gemma on their honeymoon. Photograph: Foreign Office
Ian-redmond-08-2011-fatal.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 10035 times

A woman whose husband was killed by a shark on their Seychelles honeymoon has said she still hears his terrifying screams whenever she closes her eyes.

Gemma Redmond, 27, has spoken for the first time about the horrific death of her 30-year-old husband, Ian. They had been married for 10 days. Gemma, a teacher, was on the beach watching as he snorkelled in the sea from a speedboat.

"All of a sudden I could hear a 'help'. I thought at first he was sneezing, because when he snorkelled the day before he sneezed into his snorkel and it made the most tremendous noise around the bay.

"And then I heard it again. 'Help' – and the most awful scream, and I can still hear it when I close my eyes."

In an interview with the BBC, she told how her husband was hauled into the speedboat and she ran up as it came ashore.

"His arms were out and he was conscious," she said. "He looked up at me, I looked up at him.

"I could see a mixture in his eyes of fear and of a realisation and relief that he'd seen me and I was there. I reached down my hand and I held his face, and I held his hand to my chest. I said to him: 'You're going to be all right, we're going to look after you, we're going to sort you out.'

"I think I told him I loved him very much, I hope I did. Then a man dragged me away, they were very kind, the men." She said she had been very distressed.

The men took him out of the boat and brought him high up on to the beach where they attempted to resuscitate him.

The couple had married on 7 August and travelled to the islands for a two-week honeymoon. She urged other tourists not to abandon travelling there because of the shark attack.

Gemma said that one of the reasons they had picked the Seychelles for their honeymoon was "the beautiful waters, like an underwater aquarium and the fact that there are not really any dangerous animals".

"It's a one-off accident and I know everyone is doing everything they can to ensure the islands are safe," she said.

The couple, who had been together for nine years, were on the island of Praslin and were having a day on the Anse Lazio beach when Ian was killed. Moments before, Gemma had been telling an islander how perfect their honeymoon had been.

The newlyweds, from Skelmersdale, Lancashire, had enjoyed lunch together at a restaurant before venturing out to the beach.

Gemma said the loss of her husband had left a gap that would never be filled. Ian had always been calm and collected, strong and brave.

Local people are saying the sharks have been attracted by charter ships coming to the islands to avoid Somali pirates. Tourists go fishing and throw the fish overboard, providing an easy source of food for the sharks, it has been claimed.

Gemma's parents, from Dalton, Lancashire, have flown out to the island to be with her.

If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 08/15/2011 Ian Redmond ( Seychelles ) *** Fatal ***

Postby alb » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:33 am

Seychelles shark attack: Doctor tells of frantic bid to save honeymoon Brit Ian Redmond

THE doctor who battled to save honeymoon shark victim Ian Redmond told for the first time yesterday how he saw the horror unfold.

French orthopaedic surgeon Christian Renaud, 52, was on holiday with his family in the Seychelles when he helped drag Ian from the water as his distraught new bride Gemma, 27, looked on.

He was the only person on the beach at Praslin Island with any medical qualifications to help the badly savaged 30-year-old as he lay dying.

Dr Renaud said: “When he was snapped up by the shark he let out a scream of terror before suddenly disappearing beneath the surface.

“Immediately the sea was like a lake of blood. The water was red.

“We will never forget it as long as we live. My family and I were very shocked. And that is saying something for a surgeon.”

He added: “The man was literally eaten by the shark. His left arm had been bitten off and on his left thigh we could see only bone – there was no muscle left at all. He had lost at least two litres of blood. He was still alive, but was in severe shock.”

Dr Renaud, from Albi, south west France, was on a tourist boat in Anse Lazio bay when he saw the man-eater strike. Shortly before the tragedy he had been swimming in the same stretch of water.

The boat immediately went to Ian’s aid. Dr Renaud said: “I could see that the man’s wife was watching everything. We dragged him on board and then: horror.”

He ordered a group of scuba divers to hand over oxygen tanks to help Ian breathe.

He said: “I massaged his heart for 20 minutes and we also gave him adrenaline, but he had already lost too much blood. There was no proper medical equipment and I couldn’t revive his heart. Despite all my best attempts, I lost him.”

Dr Renaud also launched a scathing attack on the local emergency services for failing to act quickly enough.

He also accused island officials of “negligence” for not warning tourists of a shark death a fortnight earlier off the same beach. He said: “No one was made aware that a Frenchman had been killed 15 days before in almost exactly the same spot.

“The authorities tried to hide the truth so as not to scare tourists. But the shark has marked this zone as his hunting ground. And he will come back, that’s for sure.

“Without the negligence of the local authorities the victim would never have been killed.”

Dr Renaud has been interviewed by a team of shark experts who have flown in from the US. He says they told him the killer is almost certainly a great white – like the predator in the movie Jaws.

Although he is still on holiday, Dr Renaud will not going back in the sea. He said: “On the day it happened I had been swimming in the same area. I was lucky. It could easily have been me.”

Yesterday, as fishermen and marine rangers continued their hunt for the shark, local clergymen held a 40-minute remembrance service on the beach near the spot where Ian, of Roby Mill, Lancs, died.

They were joined by members of the island’s close-knit community, shopkeepers and hoteliers as they prayed and scattered petals at the water’s edge.

3ITV last night axed Jaws from its current schedule in the wake of the tragedy.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Return to 2011 Shark Attack and Related Incidents