"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

05/30/2011 Kori Robertson ( Texas )

Shark Attack Related Incident News Archive for 2011 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents.
alb

05/30/2011 Kori Robertson ( Texas )

Post by alb »

College student survives shark attack near Surfside
by Michelle Homer / KHOU.com & Courtney Zubowski / KHOU 11 News

SURFSIDE, Texas -- A 22-year-old college student is recovering from a shark attack that happened near Surfside Monday.

Kori Robertson and six friends spent Memorial Day hanging out at the beach on Follett's Island. Kori and another friend ventured into waist-deep water about 50 yards from shore.

Around 3 p.m., she felt pain on her thigh.

"All of a sudden, I felt something jerk me and bite," Robertson said.

Kori and her friend Shelby thought it might have been a jellyfish until they looked at her leg and saw the teeth marks.

"She was like, 'Oh my gosh,' and... she started freaking out," Robertson said.

That's when they hustled back to shore.

"I was kind of like swimming and thinking 'I just don't want to get bitten again,'" Robertson told KHOU 11 News.

Her boyfriend wrapped a towel around the wound to stop the bleeding and rushed her to UTMB in Galveston.

"I really didn't want to look at it," Robertson remembered. "I've never seen anything like that before and it hurt really bad."

Doctors in the emergency room didn't believe it was a shark attack until they saw Kori's wound. They think she was bitten by a shark approximately 5 feet long.

"The doctors said it bit me twice. It kinda bit, then it bit again," Robertson said.

Doctors didn't stitch up the wound because they're concerned about infection.

Robertson, a University of Houston senior, said she will never go that far into the water again.

"It was traumatic," she said.

She shared her story to warn others that there are sharks in local waters even though attacks here are relatively rare.
kori_Robertson-1.jpg
kori_Robertson-1.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 16379 times
kori_Robertson-2.jpg
kori_Robertson-2.jpg (19.84 KiB) Viewed 16379 times
kori_Robertson-3.jpg
kori_Robertson-3.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 16379 times

http://www.khou.com/home/College-studen ... 01004.html
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2011 Shark Attack and Related Incidents”