02/17/2011 Peter Clarkson ( Australia ) *** Fatal ***

Shark Attack Related Incident News Archive for 2011 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents.

02/17/2011 Peter Clarkson ( Australia ) *** Fatal ***

Postby alb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 am

Diver attacked by sharks


South Australian Police have confirmed that an abalone diver has been taken by two sharks while diving near Coffin Bay on the bottom of Eyre Peninsula.

The diver was in the water south of Perforated Island when the attack happened late on Thursday afternoon.

Police have been told that the diver was returning to the surface when two sharks, possibly great whites, attacked him.

The boat's captain witnessed the attack and was treated for shock by ambulance officers when he reached the Point Avoid boat ramp.

Those on the scene have been too traumatised to talk to the media and details remain sketchy.

An abalone boat has been removed from the beach and is being inspected by police.

Inspector Glen Sickerdick from South Australian Police Communications says a search will be carried out on Friday.

"It's been reported that the diver was returning to the surface sometime this afternoon when two sharks, which are believed to be great whites, attacked and grabbed him," he said.

"Port Lincoln CIB detectives are attending and they will be conducting an investigation into the incident.

"It's also envisaged that a joint emergency service exercise will be conducted tomorrow in relation to a search of the area."

The Point Avoid region is notoriously rough and known for sharks, and there has been a big increase in shark sightings in recent weeks on the Lower Eyre Peninsula.

Two weeks ago the ABC was told of one diver who ducked to avoid a five-metre white pointer.

He was brushed by the shark as it swam away.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... ion=justin
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/general-contact-us/survivor-contact-survivors-only
alb
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 02/17/2011 Male ( Australia ) *** Fatal ***

Postby alb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 am

Diver feared dead in horror great white shark attack near Coffin Bay, South Australia


By Steven Rice and Michael Milnes From: AdelaideNow

02-17-2011 - Diver feared dead in horror great white shark attack near Coffin Bay.jpg
Emergency services converge on the scene near Coffin Bay following the attack. Picture: Ivon Perrin Source: The Advertiser


Emergency services converge on the scene near Coffin Bay following the attack. Picture: Ivon Perrin Source: The Advertiser

AN abalone diver is presumed dead after two great white sharks attacked him near the surface off the state's West Coast.

The skipper of the aluminium boat from which the diver was working saw the attack which happened south of Perforated Island, about 25km west of Coffin Bay, South Australia.

He arrived at the Point Avoid boat ramp in the Coffin Bay National Park about 6.30pm and was treated for shock by paramedics.

It was not known exactly what time the shark attack happened.

The Advertiser understands the skipper told ambulance officers: "I saw the beast come up and take him. There's no way he could have survived."

One local, who did not want to be named, said the area where the attack happened was a popular abalone diving location and sharks were common in the area.


Port Lincoln CIB detectives were investigating the circumstances of the incident.

In a statement last night, police Senior Constable Tim Dodds said two sharks had been blamed for the attack.

"It has been reported that the diver was returning to the surface some time (yesterday) afternoon when two sharks, believed to be great whites, have grabbed him."

"The skipper on the boat witnessed the tragedy and has since returned to shore."

South Australian Abalone Industry Association president Jonas Woolford said the small diving community "would be devastated by the death of one of their own".

Lower Eyre Peninsula District mayor Julie Low said she was shocked at the tragic event.

"The council's thoughts are with the family and friends in these difficult circumstances," she said.

Coffin Bay Hotel worker Bruce said there were a number of people at the hotel shocked from the incident.

"There has been a shark attack but we can't really say much more because we don't know it the family has been contacted," he said.

It is understood the diver was from interstate.

"Everybody would know him, I just can't say anything right now," Bruce said.

"Everyone is in shock, it is a very tight-knit community, I can't really talk about it tonight."

South Australia Aquaculture Council secretary Martin Hernen said he was "devastated to hear the news" and his thoughts went out to the diver's family.

Since 1985, 11 people have been killed by sharks in South Australian waters - the most recent being Jarrod Stehbens, 23, in August, 2005, who was killed off Glenelg.

In that time, there have been five fatal shark attacks off the West Coast, including the death of scallop diver Paul Buckland at Smoky Bay in 2002.

The abalone fishery in South Australia is one of the more valuable commercial fisheries, worth about $50 million annually.

About 96 per cent of the catch is exported in cans, live, frozen, dried or boiled.



Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/diver-m ... z1EE3zvvN6
If you or a loved one was involved in a negative sharky encounter please contact us!!!
http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/general-contact-us/survivor-contact-survivors-only
alb
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 02/17/2011 Peter Clarkson ( Australia ) *** Fatal ***

Postby helmi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Divers stunned by double shark attack

2011/02/18

Colleagues of an abalone diver who was taken by two great white sharks off South Australia's Eyre Peninsula yesterday say they are shocked by the attack.

Image
Peter Clarkson, who was killed by sharks in the waters of Coffin Bay.

Aircraft and boats with police and fisheries staff on board are searching for the body of diver Peter Clarkson, who was stalked and attacked as he surfaced from a dive near Coffin Bay at the peninsula's southern tip.

The skipper of the abalone boat witnessed the attack and police said he was still suffering from "significant shock" this morning.

Mr Clarkson grew up in Adelaide and had also lived at Esperance in Western Australia.

Abalone industry official Jonas Woolford thinks the attack will influence safety standards in the diving industry.

"This will have a major impact. It's extremely tragic to lose one of our own, and yeah, it's very upsetting," he said.

"I think every diver will be asking themselves the question, how can we do things safer?"

Inspector Glen Sickerdick from South Australian Police Communications says detectives will be conducting an investigation into the incident.

"At this stage we haven't recovered the body. The body didn't return to the surface once it was taken by the sharks," he said.

The area is known for sharks and there has been a big increase in shark sightings in recent weeks off the lower Eyre Peninsula.

Two weeks ago the ABC was told of one diver who ducked to avoid a five-metre white pointer and was brushed by the shark as it swam away.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... ion=justin
helmi
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:23 pm


Return to 2011 Shark Attack and Related Incidents