"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/02/2010 David Bull ( California ) No Injury

Recent listing of shark attacks 2010 and Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2010.
alb

07/02/2010 David Bull ( California ) No Injury

Post by alb »

San Onofre State Beach — On July 2, 2010 David Bull was Stand Up Paddle Boarding about 300 feet from shore at Dog Patch, San Onofre State Beach. It was 3:30 PM and he had been on the water 30 minutes. Air and water temperatures were in the mid-70s and low-60s Fahrenheit, respectively. It was partly cloudy from a marine layer with the sea glassy calm and 2 – 4 foot waves. Water visibility was about 10 feet with the depth equal to the visibility. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Bull reported; “I was paddling out back into the lineup at Dog Patch - though there were only half a dozen SUP's in the water at the time - when I felt a subtle bump on the back of my board. Initially I thought I just got caught in a kelp bed but my board turned clockwise 90 degrees and there wasn't any kelp around. I put my paddle in the water on the right side of my board to keep my balance and by that time my board was pointing back towards shore. When I looked down where my paddle was entering the water I saw the shark a few feet below the surface looking back at my board while swimming away. I got a good look at it because the sun was over my shoulder and the water was clean that day. I could tell that he had just hit my board because it seemed to be straightening itself out before it slowly swam away but it looked back towards my board so I got a good look at its head and it definitely looked like a white. I had been hearing about the shark sightings for the last few years but didn't really think much about it since I had never seen it until I saw the triangular dorsal fin two weeks earlier at Dog Patch. It's clearly different from a dolphin's dorsal fin which we see all the time. But having it hit my board and getting a good look at it just a few feet away was a different story. The shark was approximately 8 feet long, grey on top and white on bottom. I don't think the shark was trying to attack me in any way when it hit. Nevertheless, I decided to call it a day and took the next wave in.” By definition, this constitutes an unprovoked shark attack, the second of the year. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2010 Shark Attack Related Incidents”