Pennsylvania boy doing well after shark bite in Myrtle Beach
By Janelle Frost and Tonya Root - email@example.com
The father of a 10-year-old boy bitten by a shark in Myrtle Beach on Monday told a Pennsylvania newspaper that his son is doing "great."
Josh Myers received 19 stitches after the bite, according to a report in the Gettysburg (Pa.) Times.
His parents, from Gettysburg, could not be reached by The Sun News for comment.
People line the beach after it was closed for swimming Monday morning. A 10-year-old boy was transported to a Myrtle Beach hospital after reportedly being bitten by a shark in the area of 69th Avenue North access. The boy had a bandage on his left leg when paramedics put him the ambulance. Photo by Steve Jessmore firstname.lastname@example.org
Reported Shark Bite in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach police Capt. David Knipes said the boy had a cut on his leg and was taken to a local hospital Monday for treatment. University of Florida shark expert George Burgess says photographs he saw indicate a shark bite.
Burgess said it is the second shark attack off the South Carolina coast this year. The other occurred on June 25 off Fripp Island. North Carolina has had four attacks this year, including one off Wrightsville Beach on Saturday.
According to the Gettysburg Times, Josh and his 12-year-old brother Jake were body surfing in about three feet of water, when Josh dove into a wave. Soon afterward he alerted his brother that something bit him, according to the report.
The boys' father, Lonnie Myers, told the newspaper that Josh limped from the water with an injured foot to a lifeguard station.
A dispatch summary released Tuesday by Capt. David Knipes of Myrtle Beach Police Department said beach patrol officers were called to the area of 73rd Avenue North where they found the boy out of the water in a chair and being assisted by an emergency worker who was on vacation. Knipes said no incident report was completed because no crime was involved.
The boy's lower left leg was wrapped in a towel, and he was alert and talking with a lifeguard and his mother when officers arrived.
Officers drove the boy to the beach access at 69th Avenue North, where he was taken by ambulance to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. He was treated and released Monday.
Knipes said photos were taken of the boy's injury and "an expert reviewed them and believes that the bite was indeed from a smaller shark, possibly a black tip - a fish-eating shark."
George Burgess, curator of the International Shark Attack File at the University of Florida, which tracks shark attacks nationwide, confirmed that the boy's wound was from a shark attack, making it at least the second confirmed shark attack in South Carolina so far this year.
In addition to Monday's incident, there have been two shark bites reported in S.C. this year - off Fripp and Otter islands south of Charleston, according to DNR officials. But only one of those has been confirmed as a shark bite, according to Burgess. http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/07/21/15