"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

05/30/2010 Mike Seymore ( Florida )

Recent listing of shark attacks 2010 and Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2010.
sharkbait
Site Admin

05/30/2010 Mike Seymore ( Florida )

Post by sharkbait »

Shark bite another day at work for commercial fisherman
Mike Seymore was bitten in the leg about 8:45 a.m. while trying to remove a fishing hook, according to a U.S. Coast Guard news release. Seymore was working aboard the Miss Irene commercial fishing boat, out of Tarpon Springs.
Mike Seymore was bitten in the leg about 8:45 a.m. while trying to remove a fishing hook, according to a U.S. Coast Guard news release. Seymore was working aboard the Miss Irene commercial fishing boat, out of Tarpon Springs.

In his 20-year career as a commercial fisherman, Mike Seymore said he has lost count of how many times he has reeled in a shark with his normal hauls of grouper.

When that happens, fishermen usually just take the hook out of the creature's mouth then toss it back into the water, he said.

On Sunday morning, Seymore had his latest shark encounter while working about 50 miles northwest of Tarpon Springs on the commercial boat Miss Irene. He said he pulled in what he said was a 4-foot lemon shark.

This time, the predator wasn't going overboard without a fight.

"I took the hook out and he jumped the wrong way or I moved the wrong way," Seymore, said, "and he got a hold of my leg. That's it. I got careless. He got me."

A U.S. Coast Guard crew took Seymore, 49, to Tampa General Hospital this morning. The fisherman said he received about 12 staples in his left calf. He was released from the hospital today.

Seymore was nonchalant as he gave his account, saying that shark encounters are not unusual for commercial fishermen.

"I had a lot of close calls," he said. "Everybody's who's ever done it had close calls. But this is the first time I ever got caught."

Seymore said he's doing much better than the critter that bit him. He cut the shark's head off before throwing it back into the Gulf of Mexico.

"He just got lucky, that's all," he said. "I guess I was quicker in my younger days."

The fisherman said the bite isn't going to stop him from doing his job.

"I'm going to try to get on a boat and go fishing tomorrow," he said.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/may/30 ... -breaking/

Return to “2010 Shark Attack Related Incidents”