"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

12/22/2009 Peter Fraser ( Mozambique )

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
alb

Re: 12/22/2009 Peter Fraser ( Mozambique )

Post by alb »

Added by NICOLENE LATSKY witness of the incident and girlfriend of Peter

What happened was this:

We weren't on the beach that morning as it was a bit windy. So we decided we're gonna go sight seeing (even though we've seen all there is to see - been going to Moz since 2004).
Afterwards we all went to the beach, Peter and Ruan (friends we've made in Moz over the years), decided to go swimming. Me, my dad, and Karlien were sitting on the beach watching them. They swam for about 15 minutes. They came back out, lit a smoke, and then peter went to go fetch his flippers. He went back in. For some strange reason we were all uncomfortable, all eyes set on him. And then I, started asking about sharks. Only if we knew whats about to happen next. Karlien saw the shark first, as the wave (+/- 2 meters from the beach) started to break she saw the shark heading for Peter and shouted. Shark. She barely got a word out... All our attention back to Peter... He was about knee deep in the water when the shark bumped him of his feet. It tried to bite he's leg, but missed. He landed on he's knee's, the shark turned around and came from behind. Biting him on he's shoulder twice. By then being on he's knees, he was about 15cm deep in the water, right on the beach. He grabbed the shark with he's left hand, lifting him out the water right over his shoulder. Al he released the shark, it turned its head and bit him halfway on his right side, just below the shoulder. Peter got up and collapsed on the beach, about a meter from where the shark was lying. It all happened in about 4 -5 seconds. Why I say that is because, when I got up and started running, (+/- 6meters from where we were sitting, and where Peter collapsed). There were 5 Zambezi sharks in the bay - the chopper hovered over the areas where the sharks were to show everyone and reported back once he landed via radio. Me and Karlien drove to the chalet to fetch the passports, etc. Luckily there were doctors and medicals on the beach (being on holiday) but they all helped, they radio'd the owner of the heli and asked if he would fly Peter to the clinic just over the boarder. They tried to put in a drip, but he'd lost to much blood already. The borders closed at 5, and there were no way we'd get him over in time. They stabalised him in Mgusi clinic and drove him to the public hospital in Empangeni. 296km from Moz.

Afterwards, we all went back to the beach, as we couldn't go with Peter and had to wait till the next morning to be able to get through the border, and drive to Empangeni. They got to the hospital that morning at 00h00. They left him there unattended till half past 2 that afternoon, not having touched him. We started throwing our toys out the cot, and said that we will see to it that this gets made public. They then got a bit of a fright and took him straight to the operating room. That pathetic doctor said, that its not that bad, they should be done in an hour. Haha, 4 and a half hours later they were done with him. He didn't have a medical so he couldn't go to a private hospital. 7 days later he was back home and the first stitches came out. They didn't do a blood transfusion or anything. He recovered by himself (only God's work). Otherwise he probably wouldn't have been here today.
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

FAMILY OF MOZAMBIQUE SHARK ATTACK VICTIM FRASER SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT _____________________________________________________________________
Tuesday 29 December 2009
For immediate release
The family and girlfriend of shark attack victim Peter James Fraser have set the record straight regarding the facts about the shark attack which occurred in Ponta do Oura last week on Tuesday 22 December. Contrary to reports circulating in local and Mozambiquan print and broadcast media, Fraser did not lose any limbs, although he did sustain 6 injuries of varying severity from his encounter with the 2-metre shark, which has been tentatively identified as a juvenile Tiger shark.
Fraser, 27, and his girlfriend Nicolene Latsky, both from Rustenburg, were holidaying in the Mozambiquan tourist hotspot of Ponta Do Oura. At approximately 16h30 on the day of the attack, Fraser was swimming in the bay and caught a wave to shore. As he was exiting the shallow murky water, he felt something bump his leg. Thinking it was his girlfriend playing the fool, he thought nothing of it. However, the inquisitive shark came back at him, biting him on the right knee and causing him to fall to his knees in the half a metre of water.
The shark came at him again from his right hand side, biting him beneath the right shoulder and again on his back on the right hand side. The worst of his injuries were sustained when he fended the shark off with both his hands. The shark bit down on his hands, resulting in deep cuts across all of his knuckles on his left hand, almost severing through three tendons on the top of his fingers. His right hand sustained less severe lacerations. Peter then exited the water unassisted, where he was treated by a female paramedic who was on holiday at the same location.
Latsky said that “I have never had a fright like that in my life!” According to Latsky, “the attack really took us by surprise because Peter was in such shallow water, the shark’s back and dorsal fin were completely out of the water”. She also said that “there were many other bathers around, there was even a man with a lilo right next to Pete, with another 100-150 people swimming in the bay. In the minutes before the attack, we saw small fish jumping out the water quite near to us but did not consider that it was because a shark was near”. Soon after the attack, it was heard that a group of divers had begun to warn other bathers that they had witnessed a shark chasing a small school of fish into the shallows of the bay.
Latsky said that “we were lucky to find someone in Ponta Do Oura who owned a helicopter, and he flew us directly to the border. Pete was then transported by ambulance to the local Manguzi hospital in Kosi Bay where he was stabilised. From there he travelled by ambulance to Ngwelezana Hospital in Empangeni. Finally, from there he travelled once again by ambulance to The Bay Hospital in Richards Bay where he was on a drip with antibiotics for 4 days to prevent infection. We are so grateful to the pilot for taking Pete across the border as it was a very serious situation with Pete losing a lot of blood. Once at the Empangeni hospital we had quite a lengthy wait before Pete could get into theatre, but once he was in there the doctors did a fantastic job during the four and a half hour surgery”. Peter was release from hospital yesterday (28 December), and flew back to Gauteng from Richards Bay.
Fraser, who is said to be in good spirits despite being in quite some pain, will require at least one more operation to reattach the partially severed tendons in his left hand. The mounting medical bills will be a concern for Peter, who has recently started a small supply business, and whose medical aid expired only three months ago. He has already incurred costs in the region of R30 000 that he is aware of, and still has no idea of what the helicopter costs will be. It is estimated that he will probably incur another R20 000 in aftercare and rehabilitation costs, and if additional surgery is required to the tendons and or any skin grafts this could be substantially higher.
Despite the attack, Latsky says Fraser “does not blame the shark in any way. When we swim in the ocean, we are in their territory.” Fraser is an outdoor enthusiast who loves quad biking, plays hockey socially, enjoys fishing and goes to Mozambique about 2 or 3 times a year.
Marine conservationist and shark expert Mark Addison said that “it is very unusual for a shark to go into a shallow bay with the added deterrent of high mechanised watersport usage without some kind of olfactory draw or other predatory related stimulus - in this case, possibly the fish it was reported to have been chasing assisted by the high tide which would have allowed the shark to swim over the extensive sand bank network in the bay. It is also a common misperception that sharks only respond to olfactory stimulus and this only because they are looking for a meal. The reality is that they don\'t, and in many cases are curious and this alone could draw them to an area or to an object, which they would then subject to further scrutiny - they do this by biting as they have no hands to determine the objects substance or in some cases suitability for a meal. The net result is that the shark does not feed 24/7/365. Bear in mind that a shark eats approximately 10% of its body weight per week, add to this the fact that any energy aquisition (i.e. food) they don\'t use immediately gets stored in the liver for another day and this makes sharks the camels of the sea - a very necessary adaptation if you are going to have to cover vast tracts of ocean for your next meal.
Back to the case in point - at Ponta, for example, my experience over the last twenty years of operating in the area is that in the case of the resident dolphin pod and transitory whale sharks, they tend to give the bay a wider berth during these periods of heightened boating and watersport activity. At Quarter mile reef in Sodwana, on the other hand, the arrival of the pregnant ragged tooth sharks coincides with the same heightened holiday boating traffic and in this case the sharks have very little choice but to put up with boats whizzing over their heads, as the reef is so vital to their gestation period in these warmer shallower waters where they are by and large able to avoid the pelagic predators. Basically, there is no one size fits all in terms of our searching for answers as to why this bite event happened in the first place. Since a bite such as this, which happened in shallow water, near the shore and around noisy boating activity, is really out of character we need to look at the potential reasons for this” said Addison.
Addison said that factors, other than natural ones such as chasing fish (a favoured food source of juvenile tigers) which may have contributed to the shark being in the bay, include “the fact that as a result of all of rock and surf fishing being done, there is between 100-200kg’s of sardines being thrown into the bay each day, a real treat for sharks who would not normally be exposed to the enticing natural smell of sardines at this time of the year in this area. One needs to also consider the poor waste management, with septic tanks leaching raw sewerage into the bay. These olfactory corridors being created in the bay are conducive to attracting sharks - even if only on the rare occasion, as was the case this time”. There are many examples around the world where abattoirs and sewage plants have caused sharks to be drawn to an area and then into conflict with water users by biting them. Once the source of olfaction or waste discharge was removed the bites ceased.
Addison also said that “if the shark in question is indeed a Tiger, they are by nature patient yet determined sharks and once they have decided on a meal are pretty focused on achieving their goal. I have spent nearly a thousand hours a year in the water with tigers over more than a decade using primarily sardines as bait and then also having come across tigers scavenging on dead turtles and whales - none of these events has resulted in the slightest aggression from this particular species towards myself or fellow divers and snorkellers, but I have often seen or experienced the exploratory and inquistive nature of these sharks when they have mouthed a camera or floating buoy. These outcomes proved to be harmless when directed at an aluminium housing or inch thick moulded plastic buoy but would have been very different if these investigations had been focussed on our puny bodies - but they weren\'t.”
According to Addison, “the last thing we want to happen here is for sharks to get the bad reputation when better management of a marine park should be the lesson learned. The lesson here is that authorities need to implement areas of segregated and wise use, so that the interaction between humans and the ocean can be managed more effectively. Pete was a victim of circumstance and I wish him a speedy and full recovery”.
Bear in mind that this is the second bite at Ponta in over twenty years of post war beach and marine tourism, and for more than half a century if you take the pre-war beach tourism to the area into account. This is a remarkable statistic when you consider that there are not and have never been shark nets on the entire Mozambican coast or within 250km of Ponta to the south.
Marine photographer and author Thomas Peschak said that he would “substitute the term ‘shark attack’ for ‘shark bite’, we don\'t call it dog attack, monkey attack or snake attack, so why call it a shark attack”. Peschak, who is the Chief Photographer for the Save our Seas Foundation, said that “in the murky water the shark would not have been able to rely on its excellent eyesight, and the turbulent water of the surf zone could have further compromised its normally acute other senses. Just like people, sharks can and do make mistakes and it appears that this juvenile, and therefore perhaps inexperienced tiger shark, mistook the bather for something it would normally prey on such as a ray or a sea turtle.”
Julie Anderson, Founder of Shark Angels, said that in terms of risk, “you are more likely to be killed in a hunting accident, lightening strike or sand pit than a shark. In 2007, one person world-wide was killed by a shark bite. During that same period, 793 people died due to bicycle accidents and 49 died due to dog bites”. Commenting on the sensationalised reporting of this story prior to this report, Anderson said that “tabloid-style reporting reinforces our misguided and irrational fears of sharks, providing a very real example that our concerns are valid. This in turn fuels the biggest issue faced in shark conservation: the public’s apathy or even loathing towards sharks. It is incredibly irresponsible and undoubtedly highly damaging to the conservation of a highly threatened animal”.

Issued on behalf of: Fraser family
helmi

Post by helmi »

Survivor drove off shark with a flipper
29 Dec 2009
Daniëlla du Plooy

JOHANNESBURG — It will be a long time before he dares to go back in the sea, Peter Fraser (27) said yesterday of the shark attack he survived in southern Mozambique last week.

Fraser, who is from Rustenberg, was speaking on his arrival at O.R. Tambo airport yesterday after he was discharged from hospital in Richards Bay.

He said he survived the attack by a Zambezi shark, in calm water at Ponta d’Ouro, by hitting the creature with a flipper.

“I don’t think I am unlucky that I was attacked so much as lucky to have survived,” he said.

He did not (as reported by Sapa on Sunday) lose any limbs in the attack, but doctors had to close a wound more than 20 cm long on his back. The shark also bit a chunk of flesh from his right shoulder, and bit his right upper and forearm, his chest and his right hand.

“During the attack I felt nothing. It wasn’t sore. Only when I got out of the water and saw the blood did I realise how serious it was,” he said.

The attack lasted only seconds. “I first felt the thing bump my legs, but I couldn’t see anything in the dark water. Only later, when I hit its head away, I realised it was a shark.”

He estimated the shark was about two metres long.

“One always hears what you should do during an attack, but in the heat of the moment, I couldn’t really think of anything. I just wanted to get away.”

Fraser said he doesn’t think the attack could have been prevented. “We weren’t in deep; the water was about shoulder height. It was just a case of, we were in their [the sharks’] world, not them in ours.”

Fraser’s girlfriend, Nicolene Latsky (27), who witnessed the attack, said he had lost a lot of blood by the time he got out of the water.

Her father, Kobus Latsky, loaded Fraser on his bakkie and raced him to a first-aid post. From there, Fraser was airlifted by helicopter to Manguzi at Kosi Bay in northern KwaZulu-Natal.

“They couldn’t treat him there, so he was flown to Empangeni hospital, where they operated for four-and-a-half hours to close the wounds,” she said.

The next day, Fraser was transferred to a hospital in Richards Bay to recover.
SOURCE:
http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?show ... _id]=33351
helmi

Re: 12/22/2009 Male ( Mozambique )

Post by helmi »

Quote from africandiver.com :

Shark attack in Mozambique – update

by Admin on Dec.24, 2009, under News

Once again with many thanks to Elaine in Ponta do Ouro, here’s a more detailed account of what happened:

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 at about 14h00 a juvenile Tiger Shark came swimming into the bay of Ponta do Ouro and attacked a young man on holiday here who was playing in the surf with some friends on an inflatable lilo about 2 meters off shore. The skipper from Simply Scuba, Wayne, and James a staff member from Scuba Adventures were busy working in the launch area when they saw this guy come stumbling out the water bleeding heavily. They immediately rushed to assist and phoned Sandy from Brittlestar Guesthouse for assistance. At that stage Sandy was in Manguzi but she referred them to Karl who immediately got hold of oxygen and rushed down to the beach where the guy had already collapsed because of shock and blood loss. He had been attacked by the shark and was bitten on the upper arm/shoulder area and on his hand. Fortunately the wounds were not severe, but the poor guy was in shock and had to be stabilized. Wayne and Petro from Simply Scuba stayed with the victim while he was taken to the local clinic for attendance. Daryl, a paramedic and skipper for Gozo Azul helped to get the patient stabilized but failed to get a drip inserted into the victim’s arm. He then decided to just stop the bleeding and bandaged up where needed. The local commandant of police, arrived at the scene and gave permission for the patient to be airlifted by helicopter and taken to hospital in Manguzi. Colin, a resident of Maputo who owns a holiday home in Ponta fortunately had his helicopter in Ponta and could assist immediately. The man was flown to Manguzi Hospital and transferred to Empangeni Hospital from there. He is fine.

After the incident holiday makers were furious with the shark and tried to catch it with their fishing rods from the beach right in front the Beach Bar. The Tiger launched out the water twice and the spectators enjoyed the view although with aggression. The shark remained in the shore breaks for the rest of the day where it was visible to all, while fishermen tried to catch it. They had it on their hooks twice but both times the shark escaped.

This incident was discussed in all earnest with the head of marines (MPA), Miguel and Antonio the Port Captain for Ponta do Ouro. This incident was due to happen some or other time, due to the negligence of fishermen throwing fish remains over the sides of their boats after cleaning their catch in the Bay of Ponta do Ouro. Of course this will attract sharks, and if this is not going to stop immediately more unfortunate incidences like this might happen in future.

Ponta do Ouro is a very safe and tranquil village with no shark attacks for the past 15 years since 1994 when a guy lost a foot. This is because we are naturally protected by the school of dolphins permanently staying in Ponta area. They will drive away all sharks from their territory. People must not get upset about this unfortunate incident, but fishermen have to be informed of the dangers when they throw the remains of their catch out into the water in the bay.

Many thanks to all locals in Ponta involved in the very quick and rapid assistance to this poor guy. We all appreciate the wonderful way in which this was done.

SOURCE:
http://africandiver.com/blog/?p=496
helmi

Re: 12/22/2009 Male ( Mozambique )

Post by helmi »

Ponta d'Ouro Shark Attack

23/12/09 ~ By Admin ~

According to witnesses the beach was in chaos after yesterdays shark attack at Ponta. (Image courtesy Frew)

A shark has attacked a 27 year old diver from Rustenburg yesterday afternoon at the world-class surfing point of Ponta d'Ouro in Mozambique. Speaking to Zigzag earlier today, Sasha Clark, a keen surfer, diver and resident of Ponta told us that the attack was not too severe.

"We think it was a small Black Tip or Raggie, If it had been a Great White, Zambezi or Tiger it would have been a far different story."

"The attack happened right after the guy was offloaded onto a shallow sand bank near the shore. When he began wading in the shark moved in for the first bite. The shark hit him on the shoulder and when he tried to fend it off it snapped onto his hand. He managed to ward the shark off and return to shore, but not before a final bite to his leg."

The victim was lifted by private helicopter to hospital in Richards Bay shortly after the incident.

The last serious shark attack at the point took place in 1998 when KZN provincial surfer Roberto Zornada was bitten on the foot by a Zambezi.

"Contrary to earlier reports, the victim did not lose an arm or leg," says Geremy Cliff, head researcher of the KZN Sharks Board. "At this stage it is difficult to determine what shark was responsible, but we suspect a Zambezi as they are often seen by divers on the deeper reefs off Ponta d’Ouro."

Life has already returning to normal at the popular Mozambique tourist spot with surfers, bathers and divers back in the water this morning.

SOURCE:
http://www.zigzag.co.za/news/enviro/824 ... ark-Attack
helmi

12/22/2009 Peter Fraser ( Mozambique )

Post by helmi »

A young man was attacked by a shark in Ponte de Ora Bay, Mozambique.
The victim suffered major injuries to his arm and leg.

SA teen loses leg, arm in shark attack
Dec 23, 2009 7:31 AM | By Staff reporter.

A South African teenager has lost a leg and an arm in a shark attack in Ponte de Ora Bay in Mozambique, reports Talk Radio 702.

The teenage boy was airlifted to a hospital in KwaZulu-Natal after the attack on Tuesday afternoon, according to the news report.

Ponte de Orca is a popular beach holiday and diving destination just north of the South African border.

On Friday last week, a South African lifeguard was attacked and killed by a shark at Second Beach in Port St Johns.

National Sea Rescue Institute spokesman in Port St Johns, John Costello, said the 22-year-old lifeguard was seen lifting his hands in the air before being pulled off his paddle board by a shark while on duty in murky water.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/news/article240450.ece

Return to “2009 Shark Attack Related Incidents”