"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

11/24/2009 Garrett Gollighugh ( Florida )

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
sharkbait
Site Admin

11/24/2009 Garrett Gollighugh ( Florida )

Post by sharkbait »

A 10-year-old Ohio boy Garrett Gollighugh is being treated at a hospital after being bitten by a shark while swimming at Lori Wilson Park in Cocoa Beach Tuesday morning.-----

Ohio boy bitten by shark
Updated: Tuesday, 24 Nov 2009, 6:21 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 24 Nov 2009, 12:50 PM EST

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - A 10-year-old Ohio boy is being treated at a hospital after being bitten by a shark while swimming at Lori Wilson Park in Cocoa Beach Tuesday morning.

The Brevard County Rescue says Garrett Gollighugh waded into the surf and was bitten and then managed to get back to shore on his own. He was taken by ambulance to Cape Canaveral Hospital for treatment of non life-threatening injuries. When doctors saw the bite wound they told him they think the shark is about 6 feet long. "This thing just bit me. And then it let me go and then bit me again and then it hung on a little bit and shook my foot so I got out of the water and screamed shark," said Gollighugh.

Doctors told Garrett he has 14 puncture wounds from the shark’s teeth around his ankle and toes and there is no nerve damage.

Garrett turns 11 Wednesday and he says he's excited to tell his family and friends about surviving a shark bite when they call to wish him a happy birthday

Rescue officials say this is the second shark biting in the area in the last two weeks.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/br ... t-by-shark

Return to “2009 Shark Attack Related Incidents”