Paul Buckley was attacked by a shark while surfing in Jongensfontein, South Africa.
He suffered a deep wound to his leg.
Surfer survives shark attack at Jongensfontein in Stilbaai
Louise Mouton Garden Route Correspondent
CLAREMONT surfer Paul Buckley was attacked by a shark yesterday (July 8) while riding the waves in Jongensfontein in Stilbaai. He was rushed to a Mossel Bay hospital where a deep wound to his leg was stitched closed before he was discharged yesterday (July 8).
According to NSRI station commander Rico Menezies, the attack happened at 11.15am off a beach frequented by surfers. He said until they examined the board for bite marks, they could not say what type of shark attacked Buckley or how big it was.
Local resident Pieter de Witt, known as Boeta, witnessed the attack from the patio of his parents house. He said he saw two surfers in the water and one began to thrash about wildly.
Boeta realised there was a problem and ran to the beach while his sister brought the car around. They saw Buckley paddle to the beach and ran to his aid when he called for help.
Boeta said it was clear that Buckley had been attacked by something and that his surfboard had a 20 to 25cm hole in it.
Read about the attack in Buckley's own words in The Herald tomorrow.