"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

05/06/2009 Luis Hernandez (Bahamas)

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 05/06/2009 Luis Hernandez (Bahamas)

Post by sharkbait »

Bull shark attacks Deerfield Beach man in the Bahamas
Shark attack victim recovering in Miami hospital

By Joel Marino | SunSentinel.com
9:25 PM EDT, May 15, 2009
luis_hernandez.jpg
luis_hernandez.jpg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 28732 times

Luis Hernandez speaks about getting attacked by a bull shark, from his hospital bed at Jackson Memorial Hospital. He was spearfishing, off the Exuma Islands when a shark sunk its teeth into his right arm, severely damaging the muscles in his forearm. (Michael Laughlin, Sun Sentinel / May 15, 2009)

MIAMI - His blood tinting the water red, Luis Hernandez didn't know if he'd make it as the 7-foot bull shark tore into his right forearm.

Hernandez, 48, of Deerfield Beach, had been spearfishing off the Exuma Islands in the Bahamas last week when the shark attacked.

"It felt as though a torpedo hit my body," he said on Friday.

But Hernandez wasn't alone. Watching from their rented fishing boat, his wife, Marlene Hernandez, 46, lifted the anchor and pulled her husband out of the waters once the shark let go. She then crafted a tourniquet and got the boat back to land, the family said.

"This is a woman who can barely stand the sight of blood," Luis Hernandez joked from his bed at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. "But she came through that day. She became my angel."

The encounter happened on May 6, during the second day of a romantic getaway the couple took to the Bahamas.

Luis Hernandez, who was in the mood for fish, had just speared a grouper at a local reef when he spotted the shark.

"The first thing I thought was, 'Wow, nice shark!" he said. "So I swam a little closer and thought about spearing it, but decided to let it go. I just poked it so it would get out of my way."

But the shark wouldn't leave. It eventually lunged at him, sinking its teeth into his arm.

"I saw them in the water and I knew immediately it was a shark," Marlene Hernandez said. "It was like a nightmare, like a movie."

The shark eventually let go, taking with it a chunk of Luis Hernandez's forearm; he could see strips of muscle dangling from his bone.

Hernandez's encounter, like most shark bites, was probably the result of confusion on the part of the fish, said Carl Luer, senior scientist at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota.

Hernandez spearing a grouper may have led to the attack, Luer said.

While not considered particularly aggressive, bull sharks are the third most common in Florida and Caribbean waters - after nurse sharks and reef sharks - and have been blamed for numerous attacks.

Since the encounter, Luis Hernandez has gone through a number of surgeries on his arm, which doctors say will take six months to a year to recover.

For now, Luis Hernandez recuperates, regaling family and friends with the tale of his wife's daring rescue.

Also on his mind: He wants to one day return to the reef with his brother, Jorge Hernandez, of Tampa, and hunt down that shark.

Staff Writer Robert Nolin contributed to this report.

Joel Marino can be reached at jmarino@SunSentinel.com or 954-356-4552.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 6743.story
helmi

05/06/2009 Luis Hernandez (Bahamas)

Post by helmi »

Luis Hernandez (48) was attacked by a 7 ft bull shark after he speared a grouper off
the Exuma Islands, Bahamas. The man suffered injuries to his right arm.

Bull shark attacks Deerfield Beach man in the Bahamas
Shark attack victim recovering in Miami hospital

By Rafael A. Olmeda | South Florida Sun Sentinel
2:22 PM EDT, May 15, 2009

MIAMI - A Deerfield Beach man is recovering at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami after family members said he was attacked by a shark while fishing in the Bahamas.

Luis Hernandez, 48, was spear fishing off the Exuma Islands on May 6 when he noticed a seven-foot bull shark swimming nearby, said his daughter, Fabiola, 19. Though Hernandez tried to keep his distance, the shark attacked him after he speared a grouper, his daughter said.

Hernandez's wife, Marlene, raced over to her husband to rescue him and get him onto their rented fishing boat.

Hernandez was brought to a clinic in the Exumas for initial treatment, then flown to Nassau and finally, on May 8, to Jackson Memorial, where hospital officials confirmed he has been for the last week.

"At the beginning, doctors were concerned that he might lose his right arm," Fabiola Hernandez said. The shark attacked the man's right arm under the elbow, his daughter said.

Hernandez is expected to make public statements about the incident later today.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 6743.story

Return to “2009 Shark Attack Related Incidents”