"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

04/27/2008 Adam Tobin (Florida)

Worldwide Reported Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2008.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 04/27/2008 Adam Tobin (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Adam Tobin, 24, became the area’s ninth shark-bite victim so far this month, at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Capt. Jack Driskell of the Volusia County Beach Patrol said. Driskell’s emergency medical technicians treated Tobin on the beach.

M.I. surfer nurses leg after shark bite

BY JOE PAGAN • FLORIDA TODAY • April 28, 2008
It was business as usual this morning for a Merritt Island man who met the sharp end of a shark Sunday while surfing off New Smyrna Beach.
Adam Tobin shark attack photo
Adam Tobin shark attack photo
adam_tobin.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 13800 times
Adam Tobin, 24, became the area’s ninth shark-bite victim so far this month, at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Capt. Jack Driskell of the Volusia County Beach Patrol said. Driskell’s emergency medical technicians treated Tobin on the beach.

It happened about 50 yards offshore, Tobin said. He took a wave and fell off his board, bumping the shark with his arm, but at the time, thinking it was his board. When he went to jump back on his board, that’s when the shark struck.

“It never hurt at all,” Tobin said. “I actually stood there for a minute, looking for someone I thought pulled my leg. Then I felt the meat (from the wound to his leg) moving with the current.”

Tobin paddled himself the 50 yards to shore, where he received first aid, and then a friend drove him to Bert Fish Memorial Hospital.

This morning, between his job maintaining a friend’s boat and working for UPS, Tobin said he has a 9-inch gash, covered by 40 stitches on top and some inside the wound to his calf.

“It hurts bad now,” he said.

Having grown up on the water on Merritt Island and surfed in Costa Rica and all across Florida, Tobin said he has seen many sharks, but had never been bitten before or even seen anyone bitten.

But he always thought about the possibility, and will think about it even more now, he said. But, he added, it won’t discourage him from surfing again.

“It’s kind of weird, because I’ve snorkled and dived and been around sharks all my life, and to get bit from diving, it’s a disappointment,” Tobin said. “But is it life-changing? No. I’ve got a few scars and a good story.”

Driskell said the area is home to three species of sharks that reach 4 to five feet in length — sand, spinners and black tips.

“We average 20 bites a year here, but we don’t try to,” Driskell said.

Asked how he feels now, after statistics that suggest a person is more likely to be struck by lightning or win the Lotto than be bitten by a shark, Tobin said: “I’m upset. I’d rather win the Lotto.”

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 1/80428009
sharkbait
Site Admin

04/27/2008 Adam Tobin (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Man bitten by shark in New Smyrna Beach

Etan Horowitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
12:18 PM EDT, April 27, 2008

A male surfer was bitten on the left calf by a shark in New Smyrna Beach this morning.

This incident happened near the Minorca condominiums, an area where most of Volusia County's shark bites take place.

The man, whose name has not yet been released, will be treated at Bert Fish Memorial Hospital. Volusia County Beach Patrol Capt. Jack Driskell said the man will need stitches.

This is the second shark bite on the weekend. On Saturday morning, a 21-year-old man from Lake Mary was bitten on the right foot while swimming in the same area of New Smyrna Beach. He was treated and released from the hospital.

Last Sunday, a 14-year-old girl was also bitten on the foot by a shark while surfing in the same area. The area where all three bites happened is popular with surfers, but hard to find for tourists just walking on the beach.

Driskell said there have been eight shark bites in Volusia County this year.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 9964.story

Return to “2008 Shark Attacks ~ Shark Attacks 2008”