"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/25/2008 Nick Canganelli (Florida)

Worldwide Reported Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2008.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 03/25/2008 Nick Canganelli (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Shark's Teeth Found In Teen's Wound After Attack
Shark Bite Victim Is Third In 10 Days

POSTED: 3:25 pm EDT April 3, 2008
UPDATED: 6:01 pm EDT April 3, 2008

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. -- A teen in New Smyrna Beach was hospitalized Thursday after a shark tore into his foot and leg, leaving broken teeth in the swimmer's wound.

Doctors said the shark's teeth sunk in inches from Joey Giangrasso's major artery as he swam in waist-deep water near the south jetty in New Smyrna Beach.

"One of the nurses said it’s the worst (bite) she has seen since she started working at the hospital, victim's mother, Laurie Giangrasso, said.

The shark refused to let go of Giangrasso's leg until he started to beat it away.

"He didn't see it until the shark was on his foot," Giangrasso said. "When he turned and saw this massive body, he tried to hit it and get it off his foot. Because when the shark had his foot, he was shaking the foot. You can tell that because of where the bites are."

The teen was taken to Bert Fish Medical Center were he received dozens of stitches, Local 6 reported.

The bite is the fourth confirmed bite of the year and the third in 10 days, Beach Patrol representative Scott Petersohn told the Daytona Beach News Journal.

It puts Volusia County on track to match one of its worst shark bite years ever.

In 2001, there were eight shark bites in Volusia County during April.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

http://www.local6.com/news/15785218/detail.html#
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 03/25/2008 Nick Canganelli (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Teen Bitten by Shark on Spring Break

Last Edited: Tuesday, 01 Apr 2008, 7:14 PM EDT
Created: Tuesday, 01 Apr 2008, 7:14 PM EDT

15-year-old Nick Canganelli of Mayfield was bitten by a shark during a Florida family vacation.

A Mayfield teen is recovering after he was bitten by a shark during a Florida family vacation.

15-year-old Nick Canganelli traveled with his family to West Palm Beach last week during his Spring break. He was swimming with his brother at a private beach when the attack occurred March 25th. He says they were playing with small schools of fish swimming close to shore when he felt something much bigger bite his lower calf.

"It was instantaneous. It happened so fast I didn't even know how to react." said Canganelli, "I didn't even know until a surfer near by said dude, you just got bit by a shark."

The surfer told him the shark appeared to be about six-feet long. Canganelli says his leg bled heavily as he made his way to shore. He was rushed to the hospital where doctors told him he was likely bitten by a Spinner shark.

The family later learned that Palm Beach Shores police closed public beaches after sharks had been spotted feeding close to shore.

Shark attacks are extremely rare, with just seven being reported last year. Still, Canganelli considers himself to be pretty fortunate.

"If I was any deeper it could have done a lot more damage. I could have lost my leg or limb."

Canganelli's stitches have since been removed and he's expected to make a full recovery.

http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/pag ... geId=3.2.1
sharkbait
Site Admin

03/25/2008 Nick Canganelli (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Shark bite gives Mayfield student Nick Canganelli a good story

Tuesday, April 01, 2008Patrick O'DonnellPlain Dealer Reporter

Mayfield -- The shark bite on Nick Canganelli's shin is no big deal for West Palm Beach, Fla., where it takes a gory mauling to attract attention.

But at Mayfield High School, where classmates have only had to dodge the gaping jaws of vicious Lake Erie perch, it's a major happening.

Nick, 15, said the one-bite attack just a few feet offshore from a Palm Beach Shores hotel last week made him a celebrity at school Monday. Photos of his bite are being passed around on the cell phones of classmates.

And his mother, Toni, said she heard strangers talking about the bite at a dentist's office Monday.

"I have a lot more people coming up to me and talking to me now," Nick said after school Monday, before joking, "I finally have friends."

The family of six flew to Palm Beach just before Easter for a short vacation. Over that weekend, Nick and his three siblings were often in the water up to their chests. On Tuesday, March 25, Palm Beach Shores police said public beaches were closed because sharks had been spotted near shore feeding on schools of fish in shallow waters.

The Marriott hotel where they stayed warned guests about going in the water but mostly because of rough waves, which Nick and his brothers had fun riding in a raft. When a school of fish came near shore, Nick said, he and his brothers tried to catch them by hand.

His brother Anthony ran ashore for a pail and told their mother he had seen a dolphin catch a fish. Then Nick, up to his knees in water, felt a bite he compared to a bad dog bite.

"When I turned around to look, I saw the fin out of the water and this gray thing swam away," he said.

His brother and a nearby surfer estimated the "dolphin" was 6 feet long.

Doctors at a hospital later told him it was probably a Spinner shark, which bites its prey and rotates to tear it apart. The round wound, about the size of an orange, needed 12 stitches.

Police and paramedics confirmed the incident but could not verify the bite was from a shark since they did not see it. Police classified the attack as "minor."

Doctors are telling Nick that the wound is healing fine and that he can return to track practice when stitches come out. He says he'll be careful in the water now, the family is more relieved than shaken.

"It worked out," said his mother. "He's OK. And he's got a good story."

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindeal ... xml&coll=2

Return to “2008 Shark Attacks ~ Shark Attacks 2008”